Spiderman is a superhero that appears in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was created by writer and editor Stan Lee and writer and artist Steve Ditko. He first appeared in the anthology comic book Amazing Fantasy #15 in the Silver Age of Comic Books. Take a look below for 32 more interesting and bizarre facts about Spiderman.
1. Martin Goodman, then head of Marvel, didn’t like Spiderman’s concept because people hate spiders.
2. Stan Lee was originally going to go with a fly or an insect before finally picking a spider to base the character on.
3. Spiderman was the first teenage superhero to not be a sidekick of an adult hero.
4. Rhino was the first Spiderman villain that Steve Ditko wasn’t responsible for as he was made by Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.
5. Morbius was the first Spiderman villain that Stan Lee wasn’t responsible for as he was made by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane.
6. The fan favorite villain, Venom, was originally a fan creation that was bought by Marvel for $220.
7. Spiderman’s webs are strong enough to restrain the Hulk, but they dissolve after 1 hour.
8. His reflexes are so quick that he once webbed up a gun and blocked a bullet after the trigger was pulled but before the bullet was shot.
9. His first love interest wasn’t Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy but the Daily Planet secretary, Betty Brant.
10. Spiderman’s parents were spies and died in a plane crash before Peter went to live with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben.
11. Spiderman’s main weakness seems to be the pesticide ethyl chloride.
12. During Kraven’s Last Hunt, Spiderman managed to survive after being buried alive for two weeks.
13. In 2007, Marvel released a four issue miniseries called Spider-man: Reign where a possible future for Peter Parker reveals that Mary Jane dies from cancer caused by Peter’s radioactive sperm.
14. In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, Peter Parker took a bullet without hesitation and Captain America told him that he’ll be the greatest hero of them all.
15. During an event where the Human Torch died, Spiderman became part of the Fantastic Four, which was called the Future Foundation at the time.
16. Spiderman is the destined teacher of Hope Summers, who is the ultimate mutant.
17. During the events of Marvel’s Civil War, Tony Stark invented a high tech spider suit as a gift for Peter Parker when he joined the pro-registration act. However, Peter abandoned the suite when he left to join Captain America.
18. In Sam Raimi’s Spiderman movies, he had organic web shooters and not mechanical ones.
19. Peter Parker was a science nerd and academically gifted. Because of this, he was often bullied as a child and teenager.
20. The first Spiderman villain was the Chameleon.
21. Growing up in Forest Hills, Queens, it’s only natural that Peter Parker would become a fan of the New York Mets.
22. His parents helped out Wolverine. Once they were assigned to investigate Baroness Adelicia Von Krupp, who had captured an agent of a “friendly power”, they found that the agent was Logan, or Wolverine. They rescued Logan from the Baroness and Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. After the mission, they found that Mary was pregnant with Peter.
23. Peter’s Aunt May had an affair with a handsome gangster named Johnny Jerome.
24. His main nemesis is Doctor Octopus. He’s even taken control of Spiderman’s mind and body.
25. In a plot thread from the 1970s, Spiderman found that he wasn’t actually the real Peter Parker, but a clone. The original Peter Parker was living his life elsewhere as Ben Reilly for a few years.
26. When he was kissed by the villainess known as the Queen, he mutated into a giant spider.
27. On one occasion, he stopped an alien from tricking an entire generation into having unprotected sex.
28. Peter Parker was also 4 other superheroes. After being framed for the murder of Norman Osborn, he had to give up wearing the classic Spiderman costume, so he came up with 4 different personas that helped him look for clues on who framed him. The personas were Ricochet, Dusk, Hornet and Prodigy.
29. Spiderman is one of the most popular and commercially successful superheroes.
30. The 2002 Spider-Man movie was the first movie to gross $100 million on its opening weekend.
31. Tobey Maguire’s Spiderman costume had to be modified because the original version didn’t have any way for him to use the bathroom. The crew then added a vent that allowed him to use the bathroom without taking the entire costume off.
32. Leonardo DiCaprio was considered for the role of Spiderman.