Alden Caleb Ehrenreich, born November 22, 1989, is an American actor. He made his feature film debut in Francis Ford Coppola’s Tetro in 2009, and also appeared in Coppola’s subsequent movie, Twixt. Take a look below for 24 more interesting and awesome facts about Alden Ehrenreich.
1. In 2013, he appeared in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine and Park Chan-wook’s Stoker.
2. In 2016, Ehrenreich gained significant critical praise for his starring role as Hobie Doyle in the Coen brothers comedy Hail, Caesar! and for his leading role in Warren Beatty’s romantic comedy-drama Rules Don’t Apply.
3. He auditioned for the role of Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man and Harry Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
4. He was born in Los Angeles, California.
5. He’s the only child of Sari, an interior designer, and Mark Ehrenreich, an accountant.
6. Ehrenreich is named after the director Phil Alden Robinson.
7. His stepfather, Harry Aronowitz, is an orthodontist.
8. Ehrenreich is Jewish. His ancestors were Jewish emigrants from Austria, Hungary, Russia and Poland, and he was raised in Reconstructionist Judaism.
9. He began acting at the Palisades Elementary School in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, and continued doing so at Crossroads School in Santa Monica, California.
10. After graduating from high school, Ehrenreich studied acting at New York University at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting, but never finished his degree.
11. In 2009, he co-founded The Collectin with his friend Zoe Worth in New York, which consists of actors, writers, producer and directors who collaborate on films and theater performances.
12. He was discovered at a friend’s Bat Mitzvah reception by Steven Spielberg, when Spielberg watched a comedy video created by Ehrenreich and a friend, “which began in the present and eventually cut to 20 or 30 years later, with Mr. Ehrenreich, in a kimono, screaming to stop a wedding.”
13. Ehrenreich has described the comedic performance he gave in the short movie at his friend Bat Mitzvah as, “I ran around as a skinny little punk, trying on girls’ clothes and eating dirt.”
14. The meeting with Spielberg led to acting roles on television shows such as Supernatural and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
15. In 2007, Ehrenreich auditioned and won the role of Bennie Tetrocini in Francis Ford Coppola’s Tetro.
16. In his audition for Tetro, Coppola requested Ehrenreich to read a passage from The Catcher in the Rye for his main audition.
17. In 2011, Ehrenreich played a minor role in Coppola’s subsequent movie Twixt and appeared alongside Natalie Portman in the Sofia Coppola directed Miss Dior Cherie commercial.
18. In 2013, he starred as Ethan Wate in the movie adaption of the novel Beautiful Creatures, and appeared as Whip Taylor in Park Chan-wook’s thriller movie Stoker.
19. In 2016, Ehrenreich became more widely known for his co-leading role as Hobie Doyle in the Coen brothers movie Hail, Caesar!, alongside a cast that included Josh Brolin and George Clooney.
20. In 2016, he starred in the leading role of Frank Forbes in Warren Beatty’s romantic comedy-drama Rules don’t Apply.
21. Ehrenreich starred in The Yellow Birds with Tye Sheridan, Jack Huston and Jennifer Aniston, which premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.
22. On April 16, 2016, Deadline.com reported that he was the frontrunner for the role of Han Solo in Solo: A Star Wars Story, following a series of secret screen tests.
23. On May 5, 2016, Ehrenreich was cast as Han Solo, with the movie following Solo’s early life before the events of the original 1977 Star Wars.
24. Despite getting the role of Han Solo, Lucasfilm later hired an acting coach for Ehrenreich, as they were unhappy with his performance prior to their decision.