Kirsten Caroline Dunst, born April 30, 1982, is an American actress. She made her film debut in Woody Allen’s short movie Oedipus Wrecks for the anthology movie New York Stories. At the age of 12, Dunst gained widespread recognition as Claudia in Interview with the Vampire, a role for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about Kirsten Dunst.
1. Dunst achieved fame for her portrayal of Mary Jane Watson in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy.
2. Since her role in Spider-Man, Dunst’s movies have included the romantic comedy Wimbledon, the science fiction romantic comedy-drama Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Cameron Crowe’s romantic tragicomedy Elizabethtown.
3. In 2017, Dunst won her first Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in the drama Hidden Figures, about women mathematicians in the space program, and co-starred in her third collaboration with Sofia Coppola, the historical drama thriller The Beguiled.
4. In 2001, Dunst made her singing debut in the movie Get Over It, in which she performed two songs.
5. She sang the jazz song “After You’ve Gone” for the end credits of the movie The Cat’s Meow.
6. She was born in Point Pleasant, New Jersey, to Klaus Hermann Dunst and Inez Rupprecht. She has a younger brother, Christian.
7. Her father worked for Siemens as a medical services executive, and her mother worked for Lufthansa as a flight attendant. She was also an artist and one-time gallery owner.
8. Dunst’s father is German, originally from Hamburg, and her mother was born in New Jersey, of German and Swedish descent.
9. Until the age of 11, Dunst lived in Brick Township, New Jersey, where she attended Ranney School.
10. In 1993, her parents separated, and she subsequently moved with her mother and brother to Los Angeles, where she attended Laurel Hall School in North Hollywood and Notre Dame High School. Among her classmates was Rami Malek.
11. After graduating from high school in 2000, Dunst continued acting. As a teenager, she found it difficult to deal with her rising fame, and for a period, she blamed her mother for pushing her into acting as a child.
12. She attended the Anne Rice’s Memnoch Ball in New Orleans, Louisiana.
13. She’s working on her own production company with her mother called Wooden Spoon Productions. The name symbolizes women and creativity. It was inspired by her grandmother, who used wooden spoons to keep her in line when she was a girl.
14. Dunst turned down the role of Angela Hayes in American Beauty, which went to Mena Suvari.
15. She performed her first screen kiss at the age of 11, with Brad Pitt in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles.
16. Her nickname is Kiki because when she was a child, she couldn’t pronounce Kirsten. She then provided the voice of Kiki in the English dubbing of the Miyazaki animated feature, Kiki’s Delivery Service.
17. She was offered the role of Chrissy DeWitt in Now and Then, which she turned down as the role required her to gain weight.
18. According to producer Mark Gordon, she visited her then boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal at the set of The Day After Tomorrow and that visit gained her an uncredited cameo appearance.
19. She’s a huge fan of the television series The Office and admits that she’s a huge fan of Ricky Gervais.
20. She was called back to re-shoot some scenes for Get Over It while filming the first Spider-Man movie, which explains why her character suddenly goes from blond to red in a few scenes.
21. Dunst was listed as a potential nominee on the 2008 Razzie Award nominating ballot. She was suggested in the Worst Actress category for her performance in Spider-Man 3. However, she failed to receive a nomination.
22. She has checked herself into the Cinque Lodge rehab facility in Utah, the same facility which Eva Mendes, Kellan Rhude and Lindsay Lohan checked into.
23. She’s the former best friend of Maggie Gyllenhaal, having met on the set of Mona Lisa Smile. Maggie introduced Kirsten to her brother Jake Gyllenhaal, resulting in their subsequent relationship.
24. Dunst stated during The Late Show with David Letterman that one of her main goals was to direct in the future. Kirsten was 13 at the time.
25. She opened up about time at the Cirque Lodge Treatment Center in Utah, saying that she sought help for depression and not drug or alcohol abuse.
26. She never auditioned for Melancholia. Instead, she met with Lars von Trier through Skype and they had a long discussion about movies and Charlotte Rampling’s performance in The Night Porter. At the end of their conversation, Trier asked her if she wanted the role.
27. She was in a relationship with Garrett Hedlund for four years after meeting on the set of On the Road.
28. She was in a relationship with Jesse Plemons since 2016 and they got engaged in January 2017. They have a son together, Ennis Howard Plemons.
29. She was a member of the Official Competition jury at the 69th Cannes International Film Festival in 2016.
30. Ever since her role in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles, leading man Tom Cruise has sent her a coconut cake every year at Christmas, which has become known as “The Cruise Cake” in the Dunst household.