Thomas Stanley “Tom” Holland, born June 1, 1996, is an English actor and dancer. He’s best known for playing Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Avengers: Infinity War. Take a look below for 27 more fun and interesting facts about Tom Holland.
1. Holland previously appeared on stage in the title role of Billy Elliot the Musical in London’s West End.
2. Apart from playing Spider-Man, his other major film roles include The Impossible, In the Heart of the Sea and The Lost City of Z.
3. In 2017, Holland received the BAFTA Rising Star Award.
4. He was born in Kingston upon Thames, London, to Nicola Elizabeth, a photographer, and Dominic Holland, a comedian and author.
5. He was educated at Donhead, a Roman Catholic preparatory school in Wimbledon in South West London, followed by Wimbledon College, a voluntary aided Jesuit Roman Catholic comprehensive school, up until December 2012.
6. Holland has said that he was bullied in school for being a dancer.
7. After Wimbledon College, he attended the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology.
8. Since March 2011, his father had been writing the blog “Eclipsed,” which was a weekly renewed sequential story narrating how a somewhat famous comedian is being outshone by his more illustrious son. The blog describes in detail the main events in Holland’s past and present professional life. The blog came to conclusion in December 2012, when The Impossible premiered in Los Angeles.
9. He became best known for playing the title role in Billy Elliot the Musical at the Victoria Palace Theater, London, as well as for starring in The Impossible. For the latter role, he became a winner of the Hollywood Spotlight Award, as well as of the National Board of Review’s award in the Breakthrough Actor category.
10. Holland was featured in Screen International’s “UK Stars of Tomorrow – 2012” and in Variety’s “Youth Impact Report 2012.”
11. His favorite movie is Saving Private Ryan.
12. His paternal grandfather, John Charles Anthony Holland, was from the Isle of Man, and his paternal grandmother, Teresa Quigley, was from Ireland. On his mother’s side, Tom is the grandson of Robert Walter Frost and Christina Winifred Berry.
13. He was cast for the role as “Billy Elliot” on stage because he reminded Stephen Daldry of Billy Eliot star Jamie Bell.
14. Holland is the first actor to play a film incarnation of Spider-Man who was also a teenager at the time of casting, having turned 19 shortly before the formal announcement in June 2015.
15. He’s the first non U.S. born actor to play a movie incarnation of Spider-Man. His predecessor, Andrew Garfield, was also raised in the U.K., but was born in the United States.
16. Holland is a supporter of the Arsenal Football Club.
17. He can perform back, side and front flips.
18. Holland’s favorite screen acting performance is Edward Norton i Primal Fear.
19. Like his predecessor, Andrew Garfield, he was a huge fan of Spider-Man before he played the role and said that playing the role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a dream come true for him.
20. He based his performance as Spider-Man on Michael J. Fox.
21. Holland broke his nose on the last day of filming The Lost City of Z.
22. He broke his nose for the second time during the first week of filming Chaos Walking, after getting punched in the face during a fight scene.
23. He beat out Timothee Chalamet, Charlie Pummer, Judah Lewis, Matt Lintz and Charlie Rowe for the role of Spider-Man.
24. Holland was offered a role in the movie Bad Times at the El Royale, but passed on it.
25. Tom Holland was originally cast as Seaplane McDonough in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, but had to drop out because he was busy with Spider-Man: Homecoming.
26. When he was seven years old, Holland was diagnosed with dyslexia.
27. Along with his three siblings, Holland sponsors The Brothers Trust, a UK Registered Charity that raises money for various charitable causes.