Kingdra is a dual type Water and Dragon Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Seadra when traded holding a Dragon Scale. It is the final form of Horsea. Take a look below for 23 interesting and fascinating facts about Kingdra.
1. Kingdra is a large, seahorse like Pokemon with a tightly curled tail.
2. It is covered in blue scales except for its yellow, compact belly scales.
3. There are thin spines with a single branch atop its head and thin, white fins under its cheeks.
4. Its thin snout is powerful, allowing squirts of water jets with devastating power to be fired.
5. Two-pronged fins extend slightly past its cheeks.
6. On its back is a white fin supported by thin, blue spines similar to the ones on its head.
7. The yawn of a sleeping Kingdra is powerful enough to create undercurrents capable of destroying small ships.
8. Because of its immense power, Kingdra often hibernates deep in uninhabited areas of the sea to rest and build up its energy.
9. When a storm arrives, Kingdra is said to awaken and wander about in search of prey.
10. Kingdra’s name is often mistranslated to “Kingora” in the Chuang Yi translation of Pokémon Adventures.
11. Kingdra is the only Dragon-type Pokémon introduced in Generation II.
12. Kingdra and its pre-evolutions share their category with Dratini along with its evolutions, Salamence, and Goodra. They are all known as the Dragon Pokémon.
13. Like its pre-evolved forms, Kingdra is based on a seahorse. It also shares appearance traits with the common seadragon.
14. The fact that it dwells on the sea floor while creating whirlpools may be based on the mythical monster Charybdis.
15. Its secondary Dragon type may be a reference to a Japanese name for seahorses, tatsu-no-otoshigo, which means “dragon’s child”, and to the legends of Ryūjin and East Asian dragons, where they are said to bear power over the seas of the world, live on the floors of deep bodies of water, and are also known for their weather like ascensions into the heavens.
16. Kingdra may be a combination of king and dragon or hydra (a mythological sea creature).
17. Kingdra debuted in Spell of the Unown: Entei as one of the illusory Pokémon Molly Hale created in her dream world, thanks to the power of the Unown. It was Molly’s first Pokémon in her battle against Misty, where it quickly defeated Goldeen.
18. Kingdra made its main series debut in Dueling Heroes, under the ownership of Christopher. It lost to Totodile in the first match of the Whirl Cup after it plugged up Kingdra’s snout, causing excess water to build up inside, thus sending it flying across the stadium.
19. A Kingdra debuted in Fangs for Nothin’, under the ownership of Clair. It was used during Clair’s Gym battle against Ash, during which it fought against Pikachu and Noctowl, defeating the latter. Kingdra was later used in the rematch against Snorlax in Better Eight Than Never and was eventually defeated.
20. A Kingdra appeared in Snorlax Snowman.
21. A Kingdra appeared in The Legend of Thunder! as one of the Pokémon seen at a Pokémon Center.
22. A Kingdra appeared in Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, where a Manaphy Egg bounced on its head while adrift in the ocean.
23. Multiple Kingdra appeared in Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures begin!.