Unown is a Psychic type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. While it is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon, as of Generation III, Unown has 28 derivative shapes, chronicles in the Unown Mode in Generation II and the Unown Report in HeartGold and SoulSilver. There are 26 Latin alphabet characters, plus question and exclamation marks introduced in Generation III. In Generation II, its shape is determined by its individual values; in Generation III, it is determined by its personality value; from Generation IV onward, it is determined by a separate form identifier. Take a look below for 28 fun and interesting facts about Unown.
1. Unown is a flat, thin Pokemon shaped like an eye with appendages that make it resemble a letter or a punctuation mark.
2. It is entirely black, except for its white sclerae.
3. All twenty-six alphabetic forms of Unown have fully open eyes while the two punctuation Unown have half-closed eyes.
4. Though each of its forms has a counterpart in the Latin alphabet, Unown is said to resemble ancient writing and hieroglyphs.
5. It is a mystery whether Unown predates or postdates written language, and therefore which one is based on the other.
6. The Pokédex and Professor Oak’s research disagree on whether Unown communicates using electromagnetic waves or telepathy.
7. Either way, it can be detected by the Pokégear radio, which interprets it as the melody of the Azure Flute.
8. It is said that an “odd power” emerges when more than one Unown come together.
9. In the anime, it is capable of reading the thoughts of other life forms.
10. Great numbers of Unown are capable of distorting the reality to suit the dreams and wishes of whoever is in control of the Unown. However, they can only do this when more Unown are present, so it could be a shared effort rather than an ability unique to each Unown.
11. Unown is an extremely rare Pokémon that lives in its own dimension and rarely ventures outside.
12. When it moves to the Pokémon world, Unown tends to stick to walls like engravings of ancient texts or orbit other Unown.
13. In Spell of the Unown: Entei, Professor Oak had some pictures of Unown on his computer which have never appeared in any other media. Some resemble Greek alphabet letters, particularly σ (lowercase sigma), Σ (capital sigma), Π (pi), and Ω (omega). The top left large image also resembles the Greek Ȣ (ou). Others resemble the Cyrillic letters ю (yu) and б (be). The Unown in the top-middle large image resembles the Cyrillic я (ya).
14. If a player does not have Unown’s Pokédex data on a Generation II game when in Oak’s lab in Pokémon Stadium 2, Unown’s Pokédex number is listed as 252 instead of 201. This happens regardless of which Pokédex display mode is selected.
15. Unown is the only Pokémon with a base stat total of 336.
16. Unown currently is represented in the Trading Card Game by the most cards of any Pokémon (except for Pikachu), at 87 unique cards.
17. Unown is the only Generation II Pokémon that has not been featured in a Ranger series game.
18. Due to Unown’s letter and Shininess both being determined by IVs in Generation II, Shiny Unown will always be either an I or V in these games.
19. Despite Unown being able to use TM10 in Generation VI, it still cannot do so legitimately because it will always already know Hidden Power.
20. Unown is the only Pokémon in the Sinnoh Pokédex (that is not a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon) not used by any Trainer in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
21. Unown is the only Pokémon that can’t learn any status moves.
22. The two main official artworks for Unown represent a G-shaped Unown (for Pokémon Gold and Silver Versions) and an F-shaped one (for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire Versions onward), which may allude to the acronym for Game Freak.
23. Unown’s appearances are corruptions of the modern Latin alphabet, as well as the exclamation mark (!) and the question mark (?), while the G form of Unown is based on a double-story lowercase G. The shapes of the Unown are used like graphic symbols in the Pokémon world, although in Hoenn and the Sevii Islands, their place is taken by Braille.
24. Unown played a large role in Spell of the Unown: Entei, creating the illusions that drive the plot.
25. Because of their very timid and careful character, Unown do not want to go out to the external world.
26. Unown have the power to perceive the feelings of other creatures (including human beings).
27. Unown communicate with each other over electromagnetic waves but cannot use telepathy.
28. An Unown G fell out of the Unown Dimension in Address Unown!. After it was healed by the group, it helped defend them against Team Rocket, and its mind merged with that of Ash’s Larvitar so that the group could help it address its inner pain.