Snorlax is a Normal type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Munchlax when leveled up with high friendship. It also has a Gigantamax form. In the Generation I and II games and their remakes, wild Snorlax can be found sleeping in inconvenient locations throughout Kanto. In order to catch one, a Trainer must first awaken it with music from either a Poke Flute or Pokegear set to the Poke Flute channel. A sleeping Snorlax makes a return in Pokemon X and Y, in which it is blocking the player’s way on Route 7. Take a look below for 27 fun and fascinating facts about Snorlax.
1. Snorlax is a huge, bipedal, dark blue green Pokemon with a cream colored face, belly and feet.
2. Its body is composed of mostly its belly, as its limbs are comparatively small.
3. Its head is large with small, pointed ears and two pointed teeth protruding from its lower jaw.
4. It has round feet, which both have three claws and a circular brown paw pad, and short arms with five claws on each hand.
5. Snorlax’s bulk makes it the heaviest Normal type.
6. Snorlax is often found in mountains and forests.
7. It wakes up only to eat, requiring 900 lbs. (400 kg) of food per day before returning to its slumber.
8. It is not a picky eater, as its strong stomach allows it to eat even moldy food without feeling any ill effects.
9. It can even handle thorny plants or Muk‘s poison.
10. It can also eat while it is resting.
11. Snorlax is docile enough to let children and small Pokémon bounce on its large stomach.
12. Snorlax can show awesome power when prompted.
13. As Gigantamax Snorlax, seeds and small rocks that were tangled in its belly fur goes through immense growth and a tree spouts upon its belly. The tree has three red clouds surrounding it like a circle.
14. It almost never moves; even when in battle it only slightly lifts its body and attacks by flailing with its arms and legs. However, its attacks are very powerful — Gigantamax Snorlax is considered to be the strongest Dynamax Pokémon to have been discovered.
15. It is the only known Pokémon capable of using the exclusive Z-Move Pulverizing Pancake and G-Max Move G-Max Replenish.
16. In the Pokémon Stadium series (and later 3D games), Snorlax open their eyes when they faint.
17. In Pokémon Snap, Snorlax stands up and dances to the music when the Poké Flute is used.
18. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, if the player interacts with a Snorlax that is walking with them while at Mt. Silver, the message “SNORLAX is feeling very eager” will appear. This is due to Red, who is also at Mt. Silver, owning a Snorlax as well. While the player is on Mt. Silver, unique messages will also appear if the player interacts with a walking Pikachu or Charizard.
19. In Pokémon Gold and Silver, Snorlax is programmed to be able to learn Charm through breeding, but no other Pokémon in the Monster Group can legitimately learn it to pass down as an Egg Move in those games. In Generation III on, Snorlax can inherit the move from Bulbasaur by chain breeding.
20. Snorlax may be loosely based on hibernating bears, giant pandas, or teddy bears.
21. It may also be based on the cave bear. In addition, it may be based on a food coma, as it eats large quantities of food, then takes a nap, both of which are symptomatic of a food coma.
22. Snorlax also shares traits with sloths, who are often portrayed as lazy and sleepy creatures.
23. Snorlax is a combination of snore and lax or relax.
24. In Snack Attack!, a wild Snorlax was eating the grapefruits of the Grapefruit Islands. Ash managed to catch it near the end of the episode. After Ash’s adventures in the Orange Islands, Snorlax spent most of its time at Professor Oak’s lab.
25. Multiple Snorlax debuted in Wake Up Snorlax!. One was blocking the water flow to a small village.
26. A Snorlax appeared in Pikachu’s Rescue Adventure, where it was helping to hold on to the nest containing some Exeggcute and Togepi.
27. A Snorlax appeared in Pikachu & Pichu as one of the Pokémon in the Pichu Brothers’ Posse. It reappeared in other episodes of Pokémon Chronicles and made a cameo appearance in Giratina and the Sky Warrior alongside the Pichu Brothers and their friends.