Dratini is a Dragon type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Dragonair starting at level 30, which evolves into Dragonite starting at level 55. Take a look below for 26 fun and interesting facts about Dratini.
1. Dratini is a serpentine Pokemon with a blue body and a white underside.
2. It has white, three-pronged fins on the sides of its head and a white bump on its forehead.
3. Above its round, white snout are oval, purple eyes.
4. Dratini’s life energy is constantly building, so it is always growing and can reach lengths of over six feet.
5. As it grows, it sheds its skin regularly and hides behind a rapid waterfall during the process.
6. Although this Pokémon was originally thought to be nothing more than a myth, a small colony has been found living underwater.
7. It stays near the bottom and feeds on food that sinks from the upper levels.
8. In the past, Outrage was its signature move.
9. In early English-language promotional material for Pokémon Red and Blue, Dratini was referred to as “Dragoon”. Although this word can mean a European military unit that is transported on horseback but fights on foot, the name was probably selected as a combination of dragon and lagoon.
10. Dratini and its evolutionary line share their category name with Horsea, its evolutions, Salamence, and Goodra. They are all known as Dragon Pokémon.
11. Dratini appears to be based upon sea serpents or ryu, traditional Japanese dragons or Chinese dragons who bring good luck.
12. Its constant growth is similar to that of Jörmungandr, a serpent in Norse mythology.
13. Its reclusive nature, aquatic habitat, and the fact that for a long time it was considered a myth are reminiscent of the Loch Ness Monster.
14. Dratini is a combination of dragon and a corruption of tiny; tini-tiny is a phrase to indicate smallness. -ini is also an Italian suffix, applied to a word to imply endearment or smallness. Despite this, it is fairly large for a Pokémon, being 5’11” (1.8 m) in length. The name therefore may be in comparison to the size of Dragonair, whose length is 13’01” (4.0 m).
15. Dratini made its English dub debut in Beauty is Skin Deep. This Dratini belonged to Clair and Team Rocket wanted to steal it from her. It evolved into a Dragonair at the end of the episode.
16. Dratini debuted in EP035, where the warden of the Safari Zone was protecting the Dragon Pokémon. By the end of the episode, it turned out that the Dratini the warden met 30 years earlier had evolved into a Dragonair, and was now raising its own child Dratini. This episode was banned outside of Asia due to excessive use of a firearm.
17. A Dratini appeared in one of Team Rocket’s fantasies in Ditto’s Mysterious Mansion.
18. A Dratini appeared in Snorlax Snowman.
19. A Performer’s Dratini appeared in a video in Performing with Fiery Charm!.
20. A Trainer’s Dratini appeared in Alola to New Adventure!, where it was seen on the Melemele Island beach.
21. A Dratini appeared in Pikachu’s Exciting Adventure!.
22. A Trainer’s Dratini appeared in League Offenders and Defenders!.
23. A Trainer’s Dratini appeared in Battling on the Wing!, where it was watching the battles during the Manalo Conference.
24. Dratini debuted in Drat That Dratini! in Viridian Forest. It had been attacking Yellow but was calmed by Red. It later appeared again in a flashback of Yellow’s in Bang the Drum, Slowbro.
25. Lance’s Dragonite was once a Dratini, as shown in a flashback in The Legend. It was also revealed to be a Pokémon harmed by human industrialization. This motivated Lance to formulate his plot to destroy humanity many years later.
26. Clair’s Dragonair was once a Dratini, as shown in a flashback in The Last Battle II.