Christopher Michael Pratt, born June 21, 1979, is an American actor. Pratt came to prominence with his television roles, particularly for his role as Andy Dwyer in the NBC sitcom Parks and Recreations, for which he received critical acclaim and was nominated for the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 2013. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Chris Pratt.
1. Earlier in his career, Pratt starred as Bright Abbott in The WB drama series Everwood.
2. His early film career began with supporting roles in such mainstream movies as Wanted, Jennifer’s Body, Moneyball, The Five Year Engagement, Zero Dark Thirty, Delivery Man and Her.
3. Pratt achieved leading man status after starring in two commercially successful movies in 2014: the computer animated adventure comedy The Lego Movie and Marvel Studios superhero movie Guardians of the Galaxy as Star Lord.
4. In 2015, he starred in Jurassic World, the fourth installment in the Jurassic Park franchise, which is his most financially successful movie to date, earning $1.6 billion at the box office.
5. Later in 2015, Time Magazine named Pratt one of the 100 most influential people in the world on the annual Time 100 list.
6. Chris Pratt was born in Virginia, Minnesota, the youngest child of Kathleen Louise, who worked at a Safeway supermarket, and Daniel Clifton Pratt, who worked in mining and later remodeling houses.
7. His father died in 2014 from multiple sclerosis.
8. When Pratt was three years old, the family moved to Lake Stevens, Washington.
9. Pratt placed fifth in a high school state wrestling tournament, recalling that when his wrestling coach asked him what he wished to do with his life, “I was like, I don’t know, but I know I’ll be famous and I know I’ll make a shit ton of money. I had no idea how. I’d done nothing proactive.”
10. Pratt graduated from Lake Stevens High School in 1997.
11. He dropped out of community college halfway through the first semester and, after working as a discount ticket salesman and daytime stripper, he ended up homeless in Maui, Hawaii, sleeping in a van and a tent on the beach.
12. He recalled listening to the Dr. Dre album 2001 daily, to the point where he knew every lyrics. Years later, he rapped Eminem’s verses from the song “Forgot About Dre” extemporaneously during an interview.
13. Pratt and his ex-wife, Anna Faris, each had a dead bug collection before they met and they have since combined their collections.
14. He became a father for the first time at the age of 33 when his wife Anna Faris gave birth to their son Jack Pratt on August 25, 2012.
15. He worked at Bubba Gumps Restaurant in Hawaii when he met Rae Dawn Chong, who helped him get his start in acting.
16. Pratt has appeared in a movie that was Oscar nominated for Best Picture for three consecutive years: Moneyball in 2011, Zero Dark Thirty in 2012 and Her in 2013.
17. He has starred in two movies with Morgan Freeman about ordinary individuals, abducted by tough women, to fulfill an extraordinary destiny: Wanted and The Lego Movie.
18. He is conversational in German, which he studied for three years in school.
19. In a game of “Guess That Guardian” on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, it was revealed that he once gave a piece of concrete to his German teacher claiming that it was a piece of the Berlin Wall.
20. Pratt was raised Lutheran and later worked for Jews for Jesus, eventually becoming a non-denominational Christian.
21. Prior to the release of Moneyball, Pratt was typecast as youthful and somewhat immature characters. In Moneyball, he played a dramatic role as a father and dejected baseball player who once feared his career was over and who had the difficult task of learning an entirely new defensive position.
22. In 2013, Pratt initially turned down the opportunity to play Star-Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy, explaining that he didn’t want another Captain Kirk or Avatar moment.
23. In March 2014, Pratt was awarded the CinemaCon Award for Breakthrough Performer.
24. In 2014, he was ranked number 2 on People Magazine’s annual list of Sexiest Men Alive.
25. Pratt was the featured cover story of the July 18, 2017, Entertainment Weekly, which documented the evolution of Pratt’s physique over the course of the previous 12 years, going from 220 pounds for his role on Everwood to 295 pounds for Delivery Man, to 225 pounds for his roles in Zero Dark Thirty and Guardians of the Galaxy.
26. Pratt poked fun at his fluctuating physique in a musical number he performed during his monologue when he hosted the September 27, 2014, episode of Saturday Night Live.
27. Pratt’s first role in 2016 was as Josh Faraday, a gambler, in the remake of the 1960 Western The Magnificent Seven, in which he starred alongside Denzel Washington.
28. His second movie of 2016 was Passengers, a science fiction movie which opened in December and co-starred Jennifer Lawrence.
29. On April 21, 2017, Pratt received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for his achievements in motion pictures, located at 6834 Hollywood Boulevard.
30. Pratt met his ex-wife, Anna Faris, in 2007, on the set of Take Me Home Tonight. She played his love interest in the movie.