Jennifer Shrader Lawrence is an American actress. Her movies have grossed over $5.5 billion worldwide, and she was the highest paid actress in the world in 2015 and 2016. She appeared in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world in 2013 and in the Forbes Celebrity 100 in 2014 and 2016. Take a look below for 31 more fun and interesting facts about Jennifer Lawrence.
1. During her childhood, Lawrence performed in church plays and school musicals.
2. When she was 14 years old, a talent scout spotter her in New York City. She then moved to Los Angeles and began her acting career by playing guest roles in television shows.
3. Her first major role came as a main cast member on the sitcom The Bill Engvall Show.
4. Lawrence made her film debut in a supporting role in Garden Party, and had her breakthrough playing a poverty stricken teenager in the independent drama Winter’s Bone.
5. She achieved wider recognition for starring as the mutant Mystique in X-Men: First Class, a role she reprised in later installment of the series.
6. Her fame continued to grow with her starring role as Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games film series, which established her as the highest grossing action heroine of all time.
7. Her performance as a depressed and bipolar widow in the romance movie Silver Lining Playbook earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress, making her the second youngest winner of the award.
8. Lawrence subsequently won a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for playing a troubled wife in the black comedy American Hustle.
9. She received a Golden Globe Award for her role as Joy Mangano in the biopic Joy.
10. Lawrence is known in the media as an advocate for feminism and gender equality.
11. She’s the founder of the Jennifer Lawrence Foundation, through which she supports various charitable organizations.
12. She was a tomboy growing up. While in preschool, she wasn’t allowed to play with the other girls because she was too rough.
13. Lawrence graduated from high school in two years with a 3.9 GPA.
14. Lawrence was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, to Lawrence & Associates construction owner Gary Lawrence and children’s camp manager Karen Lawrence.
15. She was an athletic child who was involved in cheerleading, field hockey and softball. She even thought that she might be a doctor when she grew up.
16. While growing up and in between acting jobs, Lawrence served as an assistant nurse at the children’s summer day camp that her mother ran.
17. After considering the effect of the role of Bella Swan on Kristen Stewart’s personal life, Lawrence initially turned down the role of Katniss Everdeen. Three days later, she accepted the role.
18. She has no formal acting training. In fact, she wasn’t even enrolled in the drama program at her school, but she did perform in local theater from an early age.
19. She auditioned to play Bella Swan in Twilight, but Kristen Stewart landed the part.
20. For the movie Winter’s Bone, Lawrence actually ended up killing and skinning a squirrel.
21. Once, a tabloid was going to run a story about Lawrence having an affair with one of her co-stars, however, Lawrence’s publicist alerted her to the story and she was allowed to choose who she was “having” the affair with. She chose Bradley Cooper over Samuel Claflin.
22. After filming X-Men: First Class in London, Lawrence had to fight to get the security deposit for her Notting Hill apartment back because she had stained the bathtub blue from her makeup as the character Mystique.
23. Lawrence says that John Stamos is one of the celebrities that she was most excited to meet. They met at a party and she kept referring to him as Uncle Jess.
24. Lawrence said that she couldn’t sing but the song she performed in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 went on to become a hit, reaching number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.
25. In October, 2015, Lawrence wrote an essay, which was featured in Lena Dunham’s feminist newsletter Lenny, entitled “Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co-Stars?”
26. Lawrence’s family owned a horse farm when she was growing up in Kentucky.
27. Discovering that she was paid less than her American Hustle male co-stars via the Sony hacking scandal, Lawrence ultimately blamed herself for not negotiating for more pay.
28. She auditioned for the role of Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but the role went to Rooney Mara. Lawrence still has a picture of herself in character on her phone.
29. There was a swear jar on set of the first Hunger Games movie and Lawrence contributed at least half because, “she swears like a sailor,” according to director Gary Ross.
30. Her 19 year old brother Blaine moved with her to New York when she was a teenager looking to break into acting professionally.
31. She was involved in an on-and-off again relationship with Coldplay’s Chris Martin, which reportedly ended in the summer of 2015.