Lycanroc is a Rock-type Pokémon introduced in Generation VII. It evolves from Rockruff starting at level 25. The form it takes upon evolving depends on the game it was evolved in.
In Pokémon Sun and Ultra Sun, Rockruff evolves into Midday Form Lycanroc when leveled up in the day. In Pokémon Moon and Ultra Moon, Rockruff evolves into Midnight Form Lycanroc when leveled up at night.
= In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, a Rockruff with Own Tempo evolves into Dusk Form Lycanroc from 5 pm to 5:59 pm in in-game time (which is opposite the real time in Pokémon Ultra Moon).
Take a look below for 25 interesting and fascinating facts about Lycanroc.
1. Lycanroc is a canine Pokemon resembling a wolf.
2. It has three possible forms: Midday Form, Midnight Form and Dusk Form. The first two forms are influenced by Solgaleo and Lunala when bathed in solar or lunar energy.
3. In its Midday form, Lycanroc resembles a quadruped, light brown wolf. It has a white underbelly that extends up around its muzzle and eyes in a mask-like marking. It has pointed ears with dark brown tips and pink insides, big blue eyes, and a triangular, dark brown nose.
4. There are four sharp fangs in its mouth: two in the upper jaw and two in the lower. Large tufts of brown fur extend from the sides of its head; three tufts on each side. A bushy, white mane covers its neck. Four dark brown rocks poke out of its mane, creating a shape similar to a stylized sun.
5. The lower portions of this form’s legs are white, and each foot has three dark brown claws. It also has a long, fluffy white tail. Its Dusk Form greatly resembles the Midday Form, except with orange-gold fur and green eyes, as well as a fluffier, rockier mane on its neck.
6. In its Midnight Form, Lycanroc instead resembles a slouched, bipedal wolf or werewolf. It has short red fur with white on its lower legs, and a white streak that covers its face, underbelly, and tail. It has pointed, button ears with black tips, three large tufts of fur on each side of its face, a triangular black nose, and a mouth full of sharp teeth.
7. While the sclerae, irises, and pupils of its eye are visible, they all glow a pinkish red and no distinctive colors are visible. A mane of fur covers its back and shoulders, sweeping forward over its head to form a crescent moon shape.
8. On either side of its body, just below the shoulders, two small rocks resembling claws poke out of the mane. A single, bigger stone projects out of the front of the mane over its head. Each of this form’s paws has three black claws, and it has a stubby tail covered in long fur.
9. In order to avoid needless fighting, the Midday Form prefers to live alone and does not form a pack with others of its kind. However, it is a fiercely loyal partner to Trainers that accept it during its unruly stage.
10. In battle, it darts past opponents while attacking them with the rocks in its mane. These swift movements leave many foes bewildered. Broken fragments of its stone mane are considered good luck.
11. In contrast, Lycanroc’s Midnight Form is thrilled by battling, and becomes more excited the stronger its opponent. This excitement is what causes its eyes to glow.
12. Its strategy consists of closing in on its opponent and encouraging attack, then countering with a powerful blow that knocks out its opponent. Trainers that can draw out its power earn its trust, but it despises those that it disagrees with or who try to force it to fight.
13. The Dusk Form Lycanroc shares traits from the previous two forms. Its stance, calm demeanor, and loyal nature are shared with the Midday Form. However, it also shares the Midnight Form’s fighting spirit, including the red, glowing eyes at the moment of attack.
14. Due to only evolving at sunset, the Dusk Form is considered the rarest of the three forms in Alola.
15. Accelerock is the signature move of Lycanroc’s Midday and Dusk Forms, but all three are able to use the exclusive Z-Move, Splintered Stormshards.
16. Lycanroc and its pre-evolved form are the only Rock-type Pokémon that cannot learn Sandstorm.
17. The QR Code displayed in the Pokédex entry for Dusk Form Lycanroc is actually that of Midday Form.
18. Overall Lycanroc shares traits with the extinct Japanese and Hokkaido wolves in particular. Its Rock typing seems to be a reference to the link between wolves (also called as 山犬 yamainu, lit. mountain dog) and mountains in Japan.
19. Lycanroc may be a combination of lycanthrope and rock.
20. Gladion’s Midnight Form Lycanroc debuted in A Glaring Rivalry!. It struck up a rivalry with Ash’s own Lycanroc.
21. Ash owns a Dusk Form Lycanroc, which debuted in Rising from the Ruins! upon evolving from his Rockruff.
22. A Midday and a Midnight Form Lycanroc both debuted in Rocking Clawmark Hill!. They were among the Pokémon training up on Clawmark Hill.
23. A Midday Form Lycanroc debuted in The Island Whisperer!, under the ownership of Olivia. It reappeared in Trials and Determinations!, where it partook in Olivia’s grand trial battle against Ash, and was eventually defeated by Ash’s Rockruff. It reappeared again in Rising from the Ruins!, where it and Gladion’s Lycanroc helped Ash’s Rockruff and got attacked by Tapu Lele.
24. A Midnight Form Lycanroc appeared in I Choose You!, under the ownership of Cross. It first appeared when Cross encountered Ash, Verity, and Cross’s former Charmander. Later on, Lycanroc was among the Pokémon subjected to the control of Marshadow, but it managed to break free when Cross reminded it of how they first met.
25. A Midday Form Lycanroc briefly appeared in the Pokémon Masters Animated Trailer, under the ownership of Professor Kukui. It was part of a team with its Trainer, as well as Professors Oak and Sycamore.