Dr. Henry “Hank” Pym is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was created by editor and plotter Stan Lee, scripter Larry Lieber and penciler Jack Kirby. He debut as a scientist in a standalone science fiction anthology, but returned several issues later as the original version of the superhero Ant-Man, with the power to shrink to the size of an insect. Take a look below for 23 more fun and fascinating facts about Hank Pym.
1. Alongside his crime fighting wife Janet van Dyne, Pym would go on to assume other superhero identities, such as the size changing Giant-Man and Goliath, the insect themed Yellowjacket, and briefly the Wasp.
2. Hank Pym is one of the founding members of the superhero team the Avengers.
3. Once, when Ultron took over the Earth and had nearly exterminated the human race, Wolverine was forced to go back in time with Invisible Woman to kill Hank Pym before he created Ultron. This act created a different Earth without any of Hank’s great creations.
4. Eternity stated that Hank Pym is Earth’s supreme scientist.
5. After the supposed death of Victor Mancha, Hank Pym locked himself in his secret lab running numerous games and recording his brain activities at the same time. When Monica Chang confronted him with what he was doing, he revealed that he suffers from bipolar disorder.
6. Hank Pym created Ultron and not Tony Stark.
7. In Secret Invasion #1, Hank Pym reveals himself to be a Skrull after blasting Reed Richards with a laser and turning him into goo.
8. Hank Pym, Scott Lang, and Eric O’Grady have all been Ant-Man.
9. In the comics, Hank Pym inhales the wrong has in the lab and it gives him schizophrenia.
10. The Avengers once left Hawkeye behind for a space adventure because he has no powers, so in response, Hawkeye stole a costume and canisters of Hank Pym’s Pym Particles and briefly assumed the role of Goliath, one of the many aliases of Ant-Man.
11. Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym made a clone of Thor from a strand of his hair during Civil War. The cloned Thor defeated every hero who went against the superhero registration, then it was reprogrammed and given the name Ragnarok.
12. As Ant-Man, Henry Pym had a deep emotional connection to some of his ants. When Korr, a winged ant, sacrificed its life to save Pym, he was deeply disturbed by its death.
13. Hank explicitly stated in Avengers Academy #28 that he was an atheist.
14. Hank’s first costume as Goliath was designed by the Scarlet Witch.
15. Pym currently carries a small, technological firearm that converts his body’s mutated, bio-electric aura and fires it as a powerful stun beam; it’s called The Stinger.
16. As Yellowjacket, Pym formerly carried electric stingers in his gloves capable of emitting electrical bolts of variable current.
17. After being merged with Ultron, Pym’s new cyborg body made him capable of achieving self-sustained flight with thrusters in his feet.
18. The toolbot is a small, technological, handheld multi-tool device that stores hundreds of useful things such as a key, minicomputer, and energy sword which are all shrunken down to microscopic sizes with a computer programmed “smart chip” giving Pym the right, or appropriate tool in any situation.
19. At giant size, Pym’s strength varies according to the height that he achieves. For example, at 10 feet tall, Pym can lift 1000 pounds, and at 25 feet tall, he can lift 10,000 pounds.
20. He can use the Pym Particles to shrink to sub-microscopic stature. When more than 99.99% of his mass was extra-dimensionally shunted, he was sent into a subatomic universe or microverse, one of countless alternate universes accessible to Earth only by the mass-shunting process.
21. Pym is a scientific genius with a Ph. D in biochemistry and nanotechnology, and expertise in the fields of quantum physics, robotics, cybernetics, artificial intelligence and entomology.
22. Pym discovered the subatomic Pym Particles that enable mass to be shunted or gained from an alternate dimension, giving him the ability to change the size of himself or other beings or objects.
23. During his stay with the West Coast Avengers, Pym made a one man vehicle with artificial intelligence named Rover. Rover is able to communicate with Pym and is capable of flight and discharging energy and acid.