Terminator Genisys is a 2015 American science fiction movie directed by Alan Taylor and written by Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier. The movie is the fifth installment in the Terminator franchise and it serves as a soft reboot of the movie series, using the plot element of time travel to erase the events of the previous movies of the franchise from the series’ continuity. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about Terminator Genisys.
1. Terminator Genisys stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, who reprises his role as the eponymous character, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney and J.K. Simmons.
2. The plot follows soldier Kyle Reese in the war against Skynet. Kyle is set from the year 2029 to 1984 by John Connor, leader of the Human Resistance, to protect Connor’s mother Sarah. When Kyle arrives in the past, he discovers that the timeline has been altered and Sarah has been raised by a reprogrammed Terminator.
3. The movie grossed over $440 million worldwide, making it the second highest grossing movie of the franchise and Schwarzenegger’s career behind Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
4. Paramount greenlit two sequels to the movie before it even opened because, regardless of how well it does at the box office or with critics, all film rights to the Terminator series are set to revert back to James Cameron in 2019.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger worked out for six months, about three hours per day, before shooting started, by which time he had the exact same body weight and muscle measurements as he had 12 years previously while shooting Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.
6. J.K. Simmons was stated to have improvised many of his lines. His description of a rocket to the T-800, “Blows a door clean off. You know, for people who can’t do that themselves,” even earns a stare of surprise from Arnold Schwarzenegger.
7. Terminator Genisys is the first movie that Arnold Schwarzenegger isn’t credited as “Terminator” in the ending credits. Rather, he is named “Guardian.”
8. Tom Hardy was the first choice for John Connor.
9. The original director of The Terminator, James Cameron, asked and got to officially endorse the movie. He says he loved it so much that he personally considers it the official third movie in the franchise.
10. Arnold Schwarzenegger didn’t dye his hair for the movie. This shows his natural gray hair.
11. Terminator Genisys is the first movie in the series not to feature animatronic Terminator created by special effects artist, and dear friend of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Stan Winston, due to his death in 2008. Instead, the animatronics were created by effects studio Legacy Effects, a company formed out of Winston’s former workshop staff.
12. Terminator Genisys is the first installment of a new trilogy of “Terminator” movies.
13. They had to shoot Cyberdyne Systems on the NASA stage because there wasn’t any other place in Louisiana tall enough to hold the set.
14. This is the first movie in the series to actually show characters being sent back in time, and the machine that does it.
15. Jason Clarke is the sixth actor to play John Connor in the many portrayals of the character. This has led to people referring to him as the “Rusty Griswold” of the Terminator series as five different actors have portrayed that role in the many movies.
16. During the 1984 period of the movie, the Guardian loses the skin on his right arm. When Sarah later asks him why he can’t travel with them to 2017, he states, “My flesh will take years to regrow.” Although Terminator 2 already established that the human tissue on a Terminator can actually heal, this is the first movie to confirm that the skin can actually regenerate completely.
17. Emilia Clarke because a huge fan of the Terminator franchise after being forced to watch the first two movies when she was 7 to 8 years old by her 9 year old brother.
18. Christian Bale was unavailable to reprise his role as John Connor from Terminator Salvation.
19. Emilia Clarke took special weapons training to play Sarah Connor. Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn’t sure if Clarke had ever fired a gun before the movie but thought that her training paid off and handled herself well in the fight scenes and seemed believable.
20. In one scene, Kyle Reese calls the T-800 a “skin job.” This is a nod to Blade Runner, where Rick Deckard’s boss, Bryant, refers to the Nexus 6 cyborgs as skin jobs. Schwarzenegger was considered to play Deckard before Harrison Ford got the role.
21. Terminator Genisys is Arnold Schwarzenegger’s first movie for Paramount Pictures.
22. Emily Blunt was considered for the role of Sarah Connor.
23. Ever since Terminator 2, the T-800 portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn’t killed a human being. However, it’s possible that the driver of the semi tanker truck that Pops blows up dies.
24. Terminator Genisys is the first movie in the series to be shot digitally, as well as the first to be shot with anamorphic lenses.
25. Arnold Schwarzenegger considers Terminator Genisys the real Terminator 3, even though he enjoyed making Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.
26. The title “Genisys” refers to “SYS”, a computer term referring to the “System” or critical files that the system depends on to function properly, as well as “genesis”, a beginning or start; in context, the core of the story hinges on time-travel to where the war begins.
27. In the original Terminator movie, Kyle told Sarah that when he was a boy, he was enslaved by SkyNet and forced to work in the factories, until John Connor came along and taught him to fight back. In Terminator Genisys, Kyle meets John, when John saves him from a Terminator.
28. Terminator Genisys is the first American movie that didn’t gross over $100 million domestically, but later went on to gross over $100 million in China.
29. J.K. Simmons is the first Oscar winning actor to appear in the Terminator franchise. Although Christian Bale is also an Oscar winner, he had not yet won it when appearing in Terminator Salvation.
30. Sarah states that Pops saved her in 1973 when she was 9 years old. This would mean that Sarah was born in 1964 and she was 20 years old in 1984, and would be 53 years old in 2017.