Emilia Isabelle Euphemia Rose Clarke, born October 23, 1986, is an English actress. Born in London and raised in Berkshire, Clarke studied at the Drama Center London and appeared in a number of stage productions. Her television debut came with a guest appearance in an episode of the British soap opera Doctors. Take a look below for 28 more interesting and awesome facts about Emilia Clarke.
1. In 2010, she was named as one of the UK Stars of Tomorrow by Screen International magazine for her role as Syfy’s movie Triassic Attack.
2. Clarke rose to prominence in 2011 for her breakthrough role as Daenerys Targaryen in the HBO series Game of Thrones, a performance that has gained her critical acclaim.
3. She has been nominated for three Emmy Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, and two Critics Choice Television Awards for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, among other accolades.
4. She made her Broadway debut as Holly Golightly in a production of Breakfast at Tiffany’s in 2013.
5. In 2015, Clarke was named Esquire’s Sexiest Woman Alive.
6. She is known for her starring roles as Sarah Connor in the science fiction movie Terminator Genisys and as Louisa Clark in the romance movie Me Before You.
7. Clarke is starring in the upcoming Star Wars Anthology movie Solo: A Star Wars Story.
8. Clarke’s father, who died on July 10, 2016, was a theater sound engineer from Wolverhampton, West Midlands. Her mother, Jennifer Clarke, is the director of the charity The Anima Foundation.
9. Clarke’s interest in acting began at the age of three after seeing the musical Show Boat, on which her father was working.
10. She was educated at Rye St. Antony School and at St. Edward’s School, graduating in 2005. She attended Drama Center London, and graduated in 2009.
11. Clarke claimed that if she weren’t an actress, she would be either an architect, a singer, or a graphic designer.
12. She has a dog named Roxy.
13. She can sing and play some piano, flute and guitar.
14. Clarke was ranked number 1 on the Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2012.
15. She is the second actress from Game of Thrones to portray Sarah Connor in the Terminator movies, as her co-star Lena Headey played Sarah Connor on the short-lived television series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which is based on the Terminator movies.
16. She replaced Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones after the original pilot episode was filmed.
17. Her sport skills includes horseback riding, ice skating, rowing, running, sailing, skiing, swimming and tennis.
18. Clarke is highly skilled at alto, ballads, blues, cabaret singing and jazz singing.
19. Clarke has said that she’s often not recognized in public without the extremely long platinum blonde wig that she wears on Game of Thrones.
20. She was working three to six different jobs to get by before being cast on Game of Thrones, including bartending, restaurant waitress and working at a call center.
21. Clarke auditioned for Sharon Carter in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but lost to Emily VanCamp.
22. Clarke was considered for the role of Enchantress in Suicide Squad, which eventually went to Cara Delevingne.
23. She has a tattoo of a bumblebee on her left pinky finger.
24. Clarke took weapons training classes to play Sarah Connor. Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn’t sure if Clarke had ever fired a gun before Terminator Genisys, but thought that her training paid off and that she handled herself well in the fight scenes.
25. Clarke grew up on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s films, idolized him, and couldn’t believe that she was working with him on Terminator Genisys. She first met Schwarzenegger at the read-through and inwardly started geeking out. To hear him say, “I’ll be back,” in the movie was a major moment for her.
26. Clarke was forced to watch The Terminator by her 9 year old brother when she was 8 years old. By the time Terminator 2 came out, she was a huge fan of the series.
27. When Clarke was on Game of Thrones, she watched movies and television series with strong female character to help her get into character. She did the same in Terminator Genisys.
28. Her maternal grandmother was born in Lucknow, United Provinces in colonial India. Clarke claims to have one-eighth Indian ancestry through her.