Holyrood is a town on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Take a look below for 8 interesting and amazing facts about Holyrood, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. It is in Division 1, on Conception Bay.
2. It is approximately a 30 minute drive from the capital city of St. John’s.
3. During King William’s War, the village was destroyed in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign.
4. The town is famous for being at the bottom of the bay and having a large cross on the top of the predominant mountain “George Cove.”
5. Holyrood is also renowned for its squid fishery and caplin “rolling” which happens in late spring, early summer.
6. “Rolling” refers to the mating of the caplin when they beach themselves and can be picked up by hand.
7. It also hosts the popular “Squid Fest,” several days of squid themed activities culminating in an outdoor festival of drinking and traditional music.
8. Popular with both young and old Newfoundlanders, it attracts thousands of locals and tourists each year.