Black Panther is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was created by writer and editor Stan Lee and writer and artist Jack Kirby. In the Silver Age of Comic Books, Black Panther is depicted as T’Challa, a king and protector of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. Take a look below for 30 more fascinating and interesting facts about Black Panther.
1. Along with having enhanced abilities achieved through ancient Wakandan ritual, T’Challa also relies on his genius intellect, rigorous physical training, martial arts skill, access to advanced technologies and wealthy to fight against his enemies.
2. Black Panther is also known for his high profile relationship with fellow superhero Storm from the X-Men.
3. He’s the first superhero of African descent in mainstream American comics, having debuted years before early African American superheroes such as Falcon or Luke Cage.
4. His storyline ran through 13 issues of the Jungle Action series, and it’s considered to be Marvel Comics’ first graphic novel.
5. One of the many tasks T’Challa had to complete before becoming the Black Panther was to fight and defeat 6 of Wakanda’s strongest warriors, which he did in less than a minute.
6. The vibranium soles on Black Panther’s suit allows for soundless movement. They also let him walk on water and run up walls.
7. Black Panther’s anti metal claws have Antarctic vibranium, which breaks down almost any metal it comes into contact with.
8. He’s immune to all poisons and diseases known to man. He’s able to run over 50 miles per hour and he has the ability to see in the dark. He has mastered many martial arts and is one of the wealthiest superheroes in the world.
9. Captain America once stated that Black Panther is faster than the creature he was named after.
10. Although Black Panther’s power level is essentially very comparable to that of Captain America, he has defeated villains as powerful as Mephisto and Doctor Doom and has, on his own, defeated the entire rosters of both the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.
11. After beating the current Black Panther and taking the Heart-Shaped Herb to Bastet, the Panther God, T’Challa was linked to the God’s power, which made him almost superhuman. This this, T’Challa became the new Black Panther, the leader of the Panther clan, and king of Wakanda.
12. Iron Man once prepared specifically for a fight with Black Panther and still lost.
13. Black Panther is faster than Wolverine and Captain America, has mastered more fighting skills than almost anyone on the planet, and knows the pressure points of humans and many extraterrestrial beings.
14. His cloak can be elongated, shortened or eliminated with a thought. The entire costume can be covered allowing it to pass as normal street clothes or render T’Challa completely invisible.
15. Azari is the son of Black Panther and Storm. He was raised by Iron Man, James Rogers, Henry Pym Jr., and Torunn.
16. He has a thing for animals. He’s wrestles a crocodile, a lion, and even knocked out a T-Rex with a palm tree.
17. He was taught to think two steps ahead of his enemies and three steps ahead of his friends. He invited the Fantastic Four and defeated them by himself, and then allied with them after.
18. Doctor Strange once granted Black Panther a fully constructed Infinity Gauntlet so that he could defeat Doctor Doom.
19. Black Panther once put the Silver Surfer in a headlock, and he couldn’t get out of it despite his super strength.
20. He has the power to draw all the knowledge, strength and every experience from every previous Black Panther.
21. T’Challa is the primary funder of the Mutants Sans Frontieres, which is an organization dedicated to the protection of mutant rights. It also funds the X-Men’s activities.
22. T’Challa developed his own field of science called Shadow Physics, which combines Quantum Science with Ancient Alchemy.
23. When given enough momentum, Black Panther can scale walls or skim across water with the use of his Energy-Dampening Boots.
24. While un-enhanced, Black Panther once punched the American Panther into the ground so hard that it caused a crater.
25. His costume is the sacred vibranium costume of the Wakandan Panther Cult.
26. The Fantastic Four once helped T’Challa defeat Klaw without taking his life. To show his gratitude, he played baseball with the Fantastic Four.
27. His suit has a vibranium mesh which can stop the momentum of incoming objects. It can’t be pierced and it’s even withstood blows from the Hulk.
28. Black Panther briefly changed his name to Black Leopard, so Marvel could avoid the connection to the political party.
29. As a show of good faith, the Black Panther gave Captain America a small amount of the rare metal vibranium, which would be used to construct his iconic shield. In return, Captain America gave Black Panther his original, triangular shield, which would be held on display in Wakanda for decades to come.
30. Black Panther has been the protector of Hell’s Kitchen when Daredevil asked Black Panther to take over guardianship in his absence.