Orion is a fictional superhero that appears in comic books published by DC Comics. He first appeared in New Gods #1, and was created by writer and artist Jack Kirby. New Gods #1 was part of Jack Kirby’s Fourth World titles that were published in the early 1970s. Take a look below for 22 more fascinating and bizarre facts about Orion.
1. When Kirby’s titles were cancelled, Orion and his fellow New Gods characters weren’t seen until DC returned to the Fourth World concept a few years later.
2. With the Return of the New Gods, Orion’s Astro Harness and trademark helmet were replaced by a more standard superhero costume with a yellow mask.
3. The New Gods title was canceled again in 1978 with the story wrapped up in two issues of Adventure Comics featuring a final battle between Orion and his father, Darkseid. In the battle, Darkseid was supposedly annihilated.
4. This version of Orion came back in a three issue arc of Justice League of America in which most of the New Gods were captured by the forces of Apokolips and Orion and his New Gods, Metron, Mister Miracle and Big Barda, summoned the help of the Justice League and Justice Society to help them in freeing the forces of New Genesis.
5. Following the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Orion was featured in the 1989 to 1990 series of New Gods Volume 3 and served a short position in the Justice League with his friend Lightray.
6. Orion is the second son of Darkseid, half brother of Kalibak and Grayven, and the husband of Bekka.
7. As a child, Orion was traded for Scott Free in a peace effort between New Genesis and Apokolips. He was raised as the son of Highfather Izaya, he was taught to control his rage and anger, becoming the most powerful warrior either world has ever known.
8. Learning how to control his dark nature took a lot of Orion’s youth, but as he grew, his friends among the New Gods helped him direct his anger. His fighting skill and stamina earned him the nickname “The Dog of War.”
9. During the Simonson’s series, Orion was able to obtain the Anti-Life Equation, which was the source that Darkseid was searching for. He then went to Apokolips and confronted Darkseid about his birth, and fought for control of Apokolips. He defeated Darkseid without using the Anti-Life Equation and gained control of Apokolips.
10. After defeating Darkseid, Orion went to Earth to begin creating intergalactic peace. He turned Earth into a utopian world that began disrupting the balance of the universe.
11. In his last battle with Darkseid, Orion killed him by ripping his heart out, creating a firepit of Apokolips from Darkseid chest cavity in reference to the prophecy of their final battle.
12. When Darkseid was reborn as Boss Dark Side, he fired a time travel based gun backwards in time to kill Orion once and for all.
13. While many of the Gods from New Genesis were reborn following Final Crisis, Orion is not one of them. Metron is seen standing over his astro-harness in effigy.
14. In The New 52, which is a reboot of the DC Comics universe, Orion is shown as a supporting character in the Wonder Woman title. He joins Wonder Woman to look for a child that was abducted by the gods of Olympia.
15. Orion belongs to an extraterrestrial race of supernatural immortals known as the New Gods. As a New God, he has the standard superhuman attributes of strength, speed, stamina and durability on par with his father Darkseid, as well as with Superman.
16. Orion is also virtually indestructible, is able to run at supersonic speeds up to orbital speed, and can light weights exceeding 100 tons.
17. He is a highly skilled warrior noted for a fierce warrior’s instinct. His great rage and inner turmoil make him impulsive and prone to violent, almost psychotic outbursts as he has inherited a lot of his father’s darkness.
18. Orion has access to a Mother Box that can calm his temper and change his appearance, smoothing out his coarse features.
19. He has a regenerative healing factor and is able to call upon the Mother Box to assist in healing his injuries or to sustain his life energies if he is ever in critical condition.
20. Like all other New Gods, Orion is vulnerable to a substance called Radion.
21. His astro harness is an alien artifact of unknown origin and is capable of self-repair. The harness allows him to fly at light speed, to teleport across the universe, to project and absorb energy, to create a force field, and to fire a tractor beam. Also, Orion’s wristbands are virtually indestructible.
22. Orion is able to harness an interdimensional energy called the Astro Force. While Orion himself is a conduit for the Astro Force, he can use either the Astro Harness or his Astro Wristbands as a valve through which he can project his energy.