Mudkip is a Water type Pokemon introduced in Generation III. It evolves into Marshtomp starting at level 16, which evolves into Swampert starting at level 36. Along with Treecko and Torchic, Mudkip is one of three starter Pokemon of Hoenn available at the beginning of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Take a look below for 26 fun and interesting facts about Mudkip.
1. Mudkip is a small, amphibious, quadruped Pokemon.
2. It has a blue body with a light-blue underside.
3. It has a large head with a blue fin on top and a light-blue tail fin.
4. It has black, beady eyes and orange, star-shaped gills on its cheeks.
5. By using the fin on its head, Mudkip is able to detect changes in air and water currents as well as bodies of water.
6. Its fin can also point in a certain direction, as seen in the anime.
7. Mudkip is capable of moving or crushing boulders larger than itself.
8. Its large tail fin propels it through water with powerful acceleration.
9. According to its Pokémon Ranger browser entry, Mudkip is a very docile Pokémon.
10. Mudkip is more commonly found in captivity, though it can be found in swamps and other wetlands.
11. In the wild, it sleeps by burying itself in soil at the water’s edge.
13. Mudkip is the subject of a popular Internet meme known as “So i herd u liek mudkipz?”.
14. Mudkip is based on the mudpuppy or mudskipper, or also possibly an axolotl. As it is the Mud Fish Pokémon, it might also be based on the gilled East African lungfish.
15. Mudkip is a combination of mud and skip, or it may be a shortening of mudskipper.
16. Brock has a Marshtomp that he caught as a Mudkip in A Mudkip Mission. Mudkip Eggs were seen in the episode when Old Man Swamp offered to let Brock see one hatch, and Brock accepted his offer with enthusiasm. Brock’s Mudkip later evolved into a Marshtomp during A Chip Off the Old Brock.
17. Mudkip debuted in Get the Show on the Road, when May was asked to use a Pokémon to attack some Poochyena, only for Mudkip to use Water Gun on May. Later, when May was asked to pick her starter Pokémon, she didn’t pick Mudkip, remembering the time when it refused to do what May had asked.
18. A Mudkip appeared In the Knicker of Time!, under the ownership of Nicholai. It was his main Pokémon. In ZigZag Zangoose, it was revealed to have evolved to a Marshtomp.
19. A Mudkip appeared in Having a Wailord of a Time. Nurse Joy asked Ash and Max to look over it and a Treecko and Torchic. The Mudkip of this group was very young and cried easily. Mudkip was picked by Stephanie to be her starter Pokémon.
20. A Mudkip belonging to Professor Birch appeared in A Six Pack Attack! along with the other starters. They were being admired by Max and May when Team Rocket captured them along with the other Hoenn and Kanto starters. Max found them and told Mudkip and Squirtle to cool the bars with Water Gun, which eventually freed them. It then helped send Team Rocket blasting off.
21. A Mudkip appeared in Gonna Rule The School!, under the ownership of the Pokémon Trainers’ School. It was temporarily loaned to one of the school’s underage students for use.
22. A Mudkip appeared in a flashback in Abandon Ship!, under the ownership of Tommy. It evolved into Marshtomp and then into Swampert after it was accidentally abandoned aboard a ship.
23. A Coordinator’s Mudkip appeared in Now That’s Flower Power!.
24. A Mudkip appeared in Pokéblock, Stock, and Berry.
25. A Mudkip appeared in The Ribbon Cup Caper at the S.S. St. Flower’s Pokémon Center.
26. A Trainer’s Mudkip appeared in Off the Unbeaten Path, where it was seen participating in the Pokémon Orienteering competition.