Squirtle is a Water-type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Wartortle starting at level 16, which evolves into Blastoise starting at level 36. Along with Bulbasaur and Charmander, Squirtle is one of three starter Pokemon of Kanto available at the beginning of Pokemon Red, Green, Blue, FireRed, and LeafGreen. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Squirtle.
1. Squirtle is a small Pokemon that resembles a light blue turtle.
2. While it typically walks on its two short legs, it has been shown to run on all fours in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
3. It has large, purplish or reddish eyes and a slightly hooked upper lip.
4. Each of its hands and feet have three pointed digits.
5. The end of its long tail curls inward. Its body is encased by a tough shell that forms and hardens after birth.
6. This shell is brown on the top, pale yellow on the bottom, and has a thick white ridge between the two halves.
7. Squirtle’s shell is a useful tool. It can withdraw into the shell for protection or to sleep. The grooved, rounded shape helps to reduce water resistance when this Pokémon swims.
8. Squirtle can spray foamy water from its mouth with great accuracy.
9. Squirtle is scarce in the wild, although it can be found around small ponds and lakes.
10. The anime has shown that it can be found living on secluded islands with other members of its evolutionary line.
11. In the past, Skull Bash was its signature move.
12. Niue released a one-dollar coin featuring Squirtle as part of a commemorative promotion for the Pokémon franchise, with Squirtle on one side and the nation’s coat of arms on the other.
13. As a species, Squirtle has been trained most frequently of all the Kanto starter Pokémon by major anime Trainers, with Ash, May, Gary, and Tierno each owning one.
14. Squirtle’s design is based on both its final evolved form and baby turtles.
15. Much like Wartortle, its tail is a reference to Japanese legends of the minogame, a turtle which lived for 10,000 years and grew a tail made of seaweed.
16. Squirtle is a combination of squirt (to spray and small child) and turtle.
17. Squirtle was mentioned in Pokémon – I Choose You!, as one of the three starter Pokémon new Trainers in Pallet Town can choose from.
18. Ash dreamed of owning one, and it was his first choice for his starter Pokémon. However, when he arrived at Professor Oak’s lab, he realized it was too late, as another Trainer who started the same day had already taken it. It was shown battling and defeating Samurai’s Metapod.
19. It wasn’t until The Ties that Bind that it was revealed that the Trainer who took Squirtle was none other than Gary Oak, Ash’s rival. By then, it had already evolved into a Blastoise.
20. Squirtle was seen in a flashback during I Choose You!, which is set in a different continuity from the main series. Professor Oak revealed to Ash that it had already been collected.
21. Squirtle physically debuted in Here Comes the Squirtle Squad.
22. The Squirtle Squad were a gang of rogue Squirtle who were deserted by their Trainers. Ash befriended and caught their leader, while the rest of them became a firefighting group.
23. Squirtle stayed with Ash until The Fire-ring Squad!, when it returned to the Squirtle Squad. However, it briefly reappeared in the Advanced Generation series, to assist Ash with his final battle against Brandon.
24. The Squirtle Squad were a gang of rogue Squirtle who were deserted by their Trainers, who appeared in Here Comes the Squirtle Squad. Ash befriended and captured their leader, while the rest of them became a firefighting group.
25. May received her own Squirtle from Professor Oak in The Right Place and the Right Mime. May’s Squirtle was very young and timid but was used in several contests. Squirtle was later revealed to have evolved into Wartortle prior to Staging a Heroes Welcome.
26. The main character in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate! special is a Squirtle that claims that he used to be human. He joins Team Go-Getters in their rescue work. While he can’t use Water Gun, he is happy to use Bubble because it looks pretty.
27. A Squirtle appeared in Summer of Discovery!, under the ownership of Tierno. Tierno’s Squirtle had evolved into Wartortle by the time off Good Friends, Great Training! and then into Blastoise by Tag Team Battle Inspiration!
28. Multiple wild Squirtle appeared in Beach Blank-Out Blastoise.
29. A Squirtle appeared in Mewtwo Strikes Back, where it was cloned from Ash’s Squirtle and participated in the battle between the original Pokémon and the cloned Pokémon. It reappeared in Mewtwo Returns.
30. Blue chose Squirtle as his starter Pokémon in File 1: Red. He later used it to battle Red’s Charmander and won with ease. Sometime before Red went to the Pokémon Tower in File 2: Cubone, Squirtle evolved into Wartortle. It was shown later as a Blastoise in File 4: Charizard, when it battled against Red’s fully evolved Charizard.