Torchic is a Fire type Pokemon introduced in Generation III. It evolves into Combusken starting at level 16, which evolves into Blaziken starting at level 36. Along with Treecko and Mudkip, Torchic is one of three starter Pokemon of Hoenn available at the beginning of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. Take a look below for 26 fun and fascinating facts about Torchic.
1. Torchic is a small, chick Pokemon with stubby, downy, yellow wings.
2. Its body is covered with orange feathers.
3. There is an orange and yellow crest on its head that resembles a flame.
4. Its two thin legs and short beak of are a light brownish yellow, and the feet have three toes in front and one in the back.
5. A male Torchic will have a small black speck on its rear that is not present in females.
6. Somewhere in its belly, this Pokémon has a place where it keeps a flame.
7. This internal flame causes Torchic to feel warm if hugged.
8. When attacked, it will shoot fireballs of 1,800 °F (1,000 °C) at its foes, leaving them scorched black.
9. It dislikes darkness, as it cannot see its surroundings.
10. Torchic will follow its Trainer with unsteady steps.
11. While Torchic is rarely found in the wild, it is known to inhabit grasslands.
12. A pre-alpha sketch from before Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire that was released portrays a different Torchic with large floppy ears and a flame-shaped marking on the back of its head.
13. Torchic is the only first stage of a starter Pokémon that has a gender difference (though its own is very easily missed, being only a one-pixel difference).
14. It also is in the only starter Pokémon evolutionary line in which all members have gender differences.
15. Torchic is the lightest Fire-type Pokémon.
16. Torchic is the only Fire-type and starter Pokémon to consist only of a head and legs.
17. Torchic is based on a chicken hatchling and also possibly on the basan, a legendary fire-breathing chicken.
18. Torchic is a combination of torch and chick (a baby bird).
19. May started her Pokémon journey with a Torchic that she obtained in Get the Show on the Road!, which also marked the species’ debut. It evolved into Combusken in A Shroomish Skirmish, and later into Blaziken in Once More with Reeling!.
20. A Torchic appeared in Having a Wailord of a Time. Ash, Max, and Brock were given the task of watching over it and the rest of the Hoenn starter Pokémon for Nurse Joy while May was practicing with her Beautifly. Torchic managed to evolve into Combusken and had to be hidden. However, Nurse Joy eventually found out about this and allowed it to stay at the Pokémon Center.
21. A Torchic appeared in Pikachu and the Pokémon Music Squad. It briefly fought with Meowth and Chespin over a Pecha Berry.
22. A Torchic made a brief cameo in Going for a Spinda.
23. A Torchic made a brief cameo in a flashback in Disaster of Disguise.
24. A Trainer’s Torchic appeared in Off the Unbeaten Path, where it was seen participating in the Pokémon Orienteering competition.
25. A Torchic made a brief cameo in Setting the World on its Buneary!.
26. A Torchic made a brief cameo in Barry’s Busting Out All Over!.