Green Lantern is the name of several superheroes that appear in American comic books published by DC Comics. The first Green Lantern was Alan Scott, who was created in 1940 during the initial popularity of superheroes. He usually fought common criminals in New York City with the help of his magic ring. Take a look below for 31 more interesting and awesome facts about the Green Lantern.
1. The 1940s version of Green Lantern wasn’t able to use his abilities against wood.
2. After taking a nose dive in sales, DC Comics rebooted the Green Lantern series with Hal Jordan as the new Green Lantern in 1959.
3. The Hal Jordan Green Lantern wasn’t able to use his abilities against anything that was yellow.
4. Hal Jordan once survived after a nuclear bomb was dropped directly on him.
5. He once created an afterburner that was as hot as the sun.
6. Before becoming one of the Green Lantern Corps most powerful enemies, and founder of the Sinestro Corps. Sinestro was one of the most powerful Green Lanterns ever.
7. Green Lantern had a sidekick that was a starfish called Itty.
8. Kyle Rayner is the first and only being to wield all Lantern Corps Rings at once. The power was so immense that six rings disintegrated but all of their powers remained in him permanently. He became the White Lantern.
9. John Stewart is one of the most powerful Green Lanterns to ever live. His willpower exceeds his ring’s ability and he never backs down from a fight. For example, in “War of the Green Lanterns” John destroyed an entire planet, which was part of the Green Lantern Corps. The planet was named Mogo, and was not only powerful but very large.
10. Before he had a Green Lantern ring, Kyle Rayner was a struggling but gifted freelance graphic artist.
11. The Green Lanterns wear their rings on the left hand, one the same finger you wear a wedding band, to show their commitment to the Green Lantern Corps.
12. Batman was able to reverse engineer the communication part of the Green Lantern ring. This is why Bruce is now able to communicate to Hal Jordan through the ring.
13. The Green Lantern Corps. protect the entire universe except Gotham. They require permission from Batman himself to enter Gotham. Batman even fought Hal Jordan for attempting to chase someone through Gotham.
14. The first human Green Lantern wasn’t Hal Jordan or Alan Scott, but a monk named Jong Li from Ancient China in 660 A.D.
15. The ring of the Green Lantern Corps allows the wearer to survive in virtually any environment, and also removes the need to eat, sleep and go to the bathroom.
16. Because the Green Lantern ring has the processing speed of a nano second, it grants the wearer superspeed, which is why Hal Jordan was able to catch and trap Professor Zoom with ease; and to travel from Earth to Mars in 15 seconds.
17. Batman’s willpower is so strong that he’s capable of operating a Green Lantern ring when necessary, something that’s considered practically impossible for average individuals.
18. Besides the abundance of members from Earth, there are many other unusual heroes part of the Green Lantern Corps. They include a basketball, talking broccoli and a squirrel.
19. One of Jessica Cruz’s main weaknesses is her post traumatic stress disorder. She developed her PTSD when she witnessed her friends get killed right in front of her.
20. In the 2011 reboot of the DC universe, Alan Scott’s Green Lantern was reimagined as a gay man in an effort to bring diversity into the DC universe.
21. Alan Scott forged his own power ring from a lantern that contained an extra-terrestrial mystical power, unlike the other Green Lantern Corps. members, who were chosen by their powers rings.
22. The cosmic entity that gives the Green Power Rings their power is called the Starheart. The Starheart is an ancient artifact created by the Guardians of the Universe.
23. There is a member of the Green Lantern Corps. that’s a sentient planet.
24. There is also a member of the Green Lantern Corps. that’s a sentient mathematical equation.
25. There are 8 different lantern corps. Six of the lantern corps. harness different emotions to power their rings, however, the White and Black Lantern Corps. power their rings using embodiments of life and death.
26. The 2011 Green Lantern movie, starring Ryan Reynolds, was originally intended to be a comedy starring Jack Black as the lead role.
27. Rot Lop Fan is a member of the Green Lantern Corps., however, he wears a bell insignia on his chest instead of a lantern. This is because his race is blind and has no concept of light, so instead he wears a symbol that represents sound.
28. The oath that Hal Jordan recites to charge his ring was written by the sci-fi author Alfred Bester.
29. DC comics almost sold the publishing rights for the Green Lantern to Marvel.
30. Marvel created a supervillain called Doctor Spectrum that mirrors the abilities of Green Lantern. The most notable ability is to create light energy constructs which he projects from a gem on his hand.
31. Hal Jordan was only chosen by the ring because he was the closest suitable candidate. Guy Gardner, a teacher, was the second nearest candidate to wear the ring but he didn’t get the Green Lantern status until his debut in 1968.
Pingback:January 24, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Pingback:March 10, 2018 at 5:23 pm