Depoe Bay is a city in Lincoln County, Oregon, United States, located on U.S. Route 101 on the Pacific Ocean. Take a look below for 10 awesome and amazing facts about Depoe Bay, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 1,398 at the 2010 census.
2. The bay of the same name is a 6-acre (2.4 ha) harbor that the city promotes as the world’s smallest navigable harbor.
3. Depoe Bay was named for Siletz Indian Charles “Charley” Depot who was originally allotted the land in 1894 as part of the Dawes Act of 1887.
4. There are conflicting accounts of the origin of his name.
5. One says he was given the name “Depot Charley” for working at the military depot near Toledo, Oregon.
6. The family was later known as “DePoe”.
7. His original tribal affiliation was Tututni.
8. In 1975, the fishing trip sequence in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest was filmed in Depoe Bay.
9. In 1983, the harbor sequence in Hysterical was filmed in Depoe Bay, with the Depoe Bay Bridge prominent in the background.
10. In 2008, restaurant scenes from The Burning Plain were filmed in Depoe Bay, at the Tidal Raves restaurant.