John Wick, which is also known as John Wick: Chapter 1, is a 2014 American action movie directed by Chad Stahelski and David Leitch from a screenplay by Derek Kolstad. The movie stars Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, Alfie Allen, Adrianne Palicki, Budget Moynahan, Dean Winter, Ian McShane, John Leguizamo and Willem Dafoe. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about John Wick.
1. The first installment of the John Wick movie series, the story focuses on John Wick, played by Keanu Reeves, a retired hitman looking for vengeance for the theft of his vintage car and the killing of his puppy, which serves as a memento of his recently deceased wife.
2. Chad Stahelski and David Leitch directed the movie together, though only Stahelski was credited.
3. The movie was produced by Basil Iwanyk of Thunder Road Pictures, David Leitch, Eva Longoria and Michael Witherill.
4. John Wick marks Chad Stahelski and David Leitch’s directorial debut as a team after multiple separate credits as second unit directors and stunt coordinators.
5. The movie pays homage to works such as John Woo’s The Killer, Jean-Pierre Melville’s Le Cercle Rouge and Le Samourai, John Boorman’s Point Blank, and the spaghetti western subgenre of Western movie.
6. According to Keanu Reeves, he did 90% of his own stunts in John Wick.
7. Bacon grease was placed on Keanu Reeve’s face to attract his dog to jump on him when he wakes up in bed.
8. Director Chad Stahelski was Keanu Reeve’s stunt double in The Matrix movies.
9. Michael Nyqvist cut his entire head open during a scene with a stuntman, leaving his ear resting on his right shoulder. This resulted in 80 stitches. Some of the last scenes had to be re-done to hide Nyqvist’s scar.
10. Keanu Reeves learned and memorized the nightclub fight sequence the day that the scene was filmed.
11. According to the the directors’ commentary, when they shot the top-level nightclub fight sequence, Keanu Reeves had the flu, and was running a 104 degree Fahrenheit fever.
12. The security guard who waves John Wick onto the airport runway is reading the 1970s thriller novel “Shibumi” by Rod Whitaker, under the pen name Trevanian, which is about a retired master assassin being dragged back into the game. The story Viggo tells about how Wick once killed three men with a pencil is describing a crucial scene from the same novel.
13. The tattoo shown on John Wick’s back during the shower scene is the Latin phrase, “Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat,” which literally translates to “Fortune Favors the Bold.” This is used as the motto of several military units over the world.
14. John Wick is referred to as the one who you send to kill Baba Yaga. In Slavic lore, Baba Yaga is usually portrayed as a witch that lives in a house standing on chicken legs. She’s often portrayed in a scary way, but tens to act more like a trickster. Even so, she has been known to be helpful to those who are pure of heart.
15. Keanu Reeves’ preparation for the role of John Wick included weapons and martial arts training for eight hours per day, for four months.
16. The dog that John Wick owns in the movie, is a beagle pup named Andy. The dog was eight weeks old when the movie was made.
17. During the safe house scene, the character’s user name displayed in the top right is “Neo.” This is a reference to Keanu Reeves’ character in The Matrix trilogy.
18. John Wick reunited Keanu Reeves, Daniel Bernhardt, and Randall Duk Kim, along with producers and directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, all of whom were involved in The Matrix trilogy.
19. When John Wick is in the Red Circle changing room, at the sink, you can see his wrist watch is turned inside, suggesting that he’s former military.
20. Derek Kolstad’s grandfather, 88 year old John Wick served as an inspiration for the movie’s title and the characters name.
21. The pistol John Wick primarily used in the beginning of the movie is a Heckler & Koch P30L with a customized suppressor and compensator.
22. The Russian Mob boss’ house and pool scene was shot on the top of the James Hotel in New York City.
23. The logo with the two arrows seen on the van from the cleaning team is the symbol for the German recycling system called “Green Dot.”
24. The Red Circle is actually the New York County Surrogate Court building. The New York Citywide Administration building can be seen in the background as well. Both of these buildings are just past the Brooklyn Bridge in Manhattan.
25. Paying homage to Keanu Reeves’ history of saying “Whoa” in movies, many of the movie’s characters say “Oh” in a similar way whenever John Wick’s name is mentioned. However, the directors deliberately avoided having Keanu’s character saying it.
26. John Wick’s watch, seen in the Red Circle changing room scene when he drowns his enemies, is a Carl F. Bucherer Manero Autodate, which retails for $3,495.
27. The Continental’s rule of not doing business, are not unlike Constantine’s Papa Midnite’s rule of neutrality in his club, making this the second Keanu Reeves movie to feature a neutral club.
28. The surname “Wick” is also the surname to the character Steve Austin plays in The Package, Tommy Wick. Both movies were written by Derek Kolstad.
29. In the entire movie, John Wick kills 84 people.
30. The Red Shirt henchmen are a homage to Star Trek.