Garchomp is a dual type Dragon and Ground pseudo-legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves from Gabite starting at level 48. It is the final form of Gible. It can Mega Evolve into Mega Garchomp using the Garchompite. Take a look below for 30 fun and fascinating facts about Garchomp.
1. Garchomp is a bipedal, draconian Pokemon that is primarily dark blue in color.
2. It has red on its underbelly from the lower jaw to the middle of the abdomen, including the undersides of its arms.
3. A patch of gold comes to a point below the red on its belly, and a golden star shape adorns the tip of its snout.
4. Garchomp has horn-like appendages that resemble a jet or plane’s engines, giving it an appearance similar to a hammerhead shark.
5. These allow it to sense its prey from a long distance.
6. Its large mouth features razor-sharp teeth.
7. The feet have three white talons, and each arm has a single large, white claw for a hand.
8. Curved fins sprout from the arms, creating wings that allow Garchomp to fly.
9. It also has a large dorsal fin and another on its tail that resembles a shark tailfin.
10. The male’s dorsal fin has a notch on it.
11. Pairs of small, white spikes protrude from its upper arms and legs, and there are gill-like slits on the sides of the neck.
12. The eyes are intense, with black sclerae and gold-colored irises.
13. When Garchomp Mega Evolves, it grows in size and several of its features become more angular, including its head and shoulders. A row of five tooth-like spikes sprouts from each side of its abdomen, and red spikes grow from its knees.
14. The claws and fins on its arms melt from the excessive Mega Evolution energy and morph together to form sharp, red blades. Because Garchomp takes great pride in its winglike fins, the sight of them melting into scythes sends it mad with rage. Its scythes can slice the ground to pieces, and Mega Garchomp viciously tears up its opponents with them.
15. Garchomp can fly at an incredible speed to catch its prey.
16. It preys on bird Pokémon, and is known to eat entire flocks of them whole.
17. It sometimes battles Salamence in the air as they compete for food.
18. The fine scales on its body reduce drag for easier flight, and their sharp edges also serve to injure opponents who attack it directly.
19. Garchomp is a cave-dweller and is seldom seen in the wild.
20. Although the Garchomp in PokéPark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure and its sequel has no notch on his fin, he is referred to as male.
21. In an early Japanese trailer for Pokémon Platinum, a prototype front sprite is seen that is different from the final sprite.
22. Garchomp has the highest base HP of all pseudo-legendary Pokémon.
23. Garchomp has the lowest base Special Attack stat of all pseudo-legendary Pokémon.
24. Appearance-wise, Garchomp seems like a cross between a wyvern, various species of sharks (including the hammerhead), and possibly a dromaeosaurid or other theropod dinosaur. In particular, considering Garchomp’s saurian build with shark-like features, it may be a visual play on the Carcharodontosaurus, a theropod dinosaur whose name means “shark-toothed lizard”. Its design also strongly resembles a jet aircraft. Mega Garchomp’s skull-like head and scythe arms are a stereotypical image of the Grim Reaper.
25. Garchomp may be a combination and corruption of gore (a projecting point), guard or Carcharodon (the scientific name for sharks) and chomp. Gar may also derive from garpike (a species of fish somewhat similar in appearance), gargantuan (relating to its size) or gargoyle which occasionally bears a likeness to European dragons.
26. Garchomp debuted in Top-Down Training!, under the ownership of Cynthia. It was her main Pokémon throughout the Diamond & Pearl series.
27. A Garchomp debuted in Lumiose City Pursuit!, under the ownership of Professor Sycamore. It was revealed in Garchomp’s Mega Bond! that Sycamore has owned Garchomp since she was a Gible. She can Mega Evolve into Mega Garchomp. She has since made further appearances in the XY series.
28. A male Garchomp nicknamed Garchoo, which can Mega Evolve into Mega Garchomp, appeared in Mega Evolution Special I, under the ownership of Remo. He was seen battling Alain’s Charizard and ultimately losing. Remo’s Garchomp later reappeared in Analysis Versus Passion!, where he again battled and lost against Alain’s Charizard.
29. The Ultra Guardians have a Ride Garchomp, which Ash uses during their missions, as first seen in A Mission of Ultra Urgency!.
30. A female Garchomp appeared in One Team, Two Team, Red Team, Blue Team!, under the ownership of the Pokémon Summer Academy. It was used by one of the students in the first leg of the Pokémon Triathlon.