Suicune is a Water type Legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Along with Raikou and Entei, it is one of the Legendary beasts resurrected by Ho-Oh after the burning of the Brass Tower. Of the three Legendary beasts, Suicune is said to represent the rains that quenched the flames of the burning Brass Tower. Suicine is the game mascot of Pokemon Crystal, appearing on the boxart. Take a look below for 30 awesome and interesting facts about Suicune.
1. Suicune is a slim, quadruped, blue, mammalian Pokemon with white, diamond shaped markings.
2. Its face and underside are white as well.
3. Suicune has a thick, purple mane that resembles the aurora borealis and two white, streamer-like tails that wave forward.
4. It has a long, white snout.
5. Suicune has a large, hexagonal, cerulean blue crest on its forehead that resembles the antlers of a Qilin with two prongs on either side of the base.
6. It has red eyes, a small tuft of fur under its chin, and small paws with white paw pads.
7. Suicune has the power to walk across water and purify dirty water with one touch.
8. It travels across grasslands in search of water to purify.
9. Northern winds always seem to blow stronger in its presence.
10. In Pokémon Crystal, Suicune is said to be the closest of the Legendary beasts to Ho-Oh.
11. It is also said to have a link to the Unown.
12. In the anime, Suicune is shown to be heroic, serious, and calm during dangerous situations.
13. Suicune, along with Raikou and Entei, was designed by Muneo Saitō.
14. Suicune’s number in the National Pokédex and the Johto Pokédex are the same: 245.
15. Suicune is the only game mascot part of a Legendary trio whose fellow members are not game mascots.
16. Suicune is the only Shadow Pokémon that can have a varying moveset. Normally knowing Surf if snagged in The Under or Realgam Tower, Suicune instead knows Hydro Pump if it is snagged in Deep Colosseum.
17. Suicune is thought to be based on numerous creatures and mythological deities, mainly the Qilin or “Kirin”, an Eastern legend that has traits of Chinese dragons, unicorns, deer, big cats, and other beasts. The Qilin was said to be able to walk on water and is known to be a powerful and peaceful creature.
18. The crest on Suicune’s head roughly matches the description of the beast’s antlers. The spots of Suicune are also significant, seeming to combine the spots of a leopard, taking homage from Fūjin, the Shinto god of The North Wind, who wears leopard skin. Leopards themselves are found in Asia and are featured in myths that show it is a widely respected sacred animal like the Qilin.
19. The way it runs and roars in the anime may also relate to the leopard. Being a Pokémon that represents the wind and rain, Suicune may also be based on some of the world’s numerous myths of wind deities. Suicune’s mane is meant to resemble a northern aurora.
20. Suicune may be a combination of sui (water) and kun (monarch). The game title it is the mascot of suggests that it may derive from suishō (crystal).
21. Suicune debuted in Don’t Touch That ‘dile when Ash, Misty, and Brock spotted one in the middle of a lake near New Bark Town. When it noticed the group, it ran away. Its first significant appearance was in For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!, where it appeared in Ecruteak City after one of the Crystal Bells from the Bell Tower was destroyed.
22. Suicune appeared in a major role in Celebi: The Voice of the Forest. Throughout the course of the movie, it demonstrated its ability to purify water, as well as doing battle with Dark Celebi.
23. A Shiny Suicune appeared alongside Celebi and the other members of its trio in Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
24. A Suicune appeared in Drifloon on the Wind!. It was a friend to Marnie and Paige, the daughters of a Nurse Joy. Suicune saved Ash and Paige’s lives when they fell into a deep canyon.
25. A Suicune made cameo appearances in the opening sequences of Destiny Deoxys and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
26. A Suicune made a cameo appearance in the opening sequence of The Rise of Darkrai, where it was seen roaring and jumping off a mountain.
27. A Suicune made cameo appearances in the opening sequences of Arceus and the Jewel of Life, and Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel.
28. A Suicune appeared in I Choose You!, where Verity spotted it one night.
29. Suicune is a Standard-type playable character in Pokkén. Moves it can use include Aurora Beam, Hydro Pump, Mirror Coat, and Blizzard. In Burst Form, it can use the Burst Attack True Sheer Cold.
30. Suicune reappears in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, functioning the same as in Brawl. In these games, it can also be summoned from a Master Ball.