Suicide Squad is a 2016 American superhero movie based on the DC Comics antihero team of the same name, distributed by Warner Brothers Pictures. It’s the third installment in the DC Extended Universe. The movie is written and directed by David Ayer and stars an ensemble cast featuring Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ike Barinholtz, Scott Eastwood, and Cara Delevingne. Take a look below for 30 more interesting and fascinating facts about Suicide Squad.
1. In Suicide Squad, a secret government agency led by Amanda Waller recruits imprisoned supervillains to execute dangerous black ops missions and save the world from a powerful threat, in exchange for reduced sentences.
2. Following a strong debut that set new box office records, the movie grossed over $746 million worldwide, making it the 10th highest grossing movie of 2016.
3. The movie was nominated for and won multiple awards across various categories, including an Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling at the 89th Academy Awards, making it the first movie in the DC Extended Universe to win an Academy Award.
4. The majority of the cast and crew got the tattoo “SKWAD” in honor of the movie. The tattoos were even applied by some of the cast members, Margot Robbie and Will Smith.
5. When perfecting the Joker’s laugh, Jared Leto publicly tried different laughs in New York City and Toronto to see which ones made people the most uncomfortable.
6. To prepare for his role as Deadshot, Will Smith shaved his head, and spent time training with Navy S.E.A.L.’s and Army Rangers, practicing firing a Glock 9 millimeter handgun and an AR-15 rifle. Smith turned out to be a quick learner, particularly with long distance shots using the AR-15.
7. During Deadshot’s “dossier” sequence at the start of the movie, the list of weapons with which he is deadly includes the potato cannon.
8. Margot Robbie kept the live rat that Jared Leto sent her and she even gave it a name; “Rat-Rat,” she added, “If Harley got something from Joker, she’d probably cherish it.”
9. Ryan Gosling was sought out for the role of Joker. He reportedly turned down the role, because he didn’t want to sign on for a multi-picture deal that the studio was requiring.
10. The Joker’s car, the Jokermobile, is a customized Infiniti G35 Vaydor.
11. Early cuts of the movie included more interaction with Captain Boomerang and Harley Quinn, with Harley severely disliking him despite growing affectionate to all the other members of the squad.
12. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje did extensive research for Killer Croc, reading decades worth of material from the comics with the character. He also observed actual crocodiles and researched cannibalism.
13. Jared Leto shaved his eyebrows in order to play the Joker, to make him look more deranged and psychotic. Jay Hernandez, who plays El Diablo, also shaved his eyebrows for his role, since his character was designed to have no hair on his body. For Hernandez, the choice saved him half an hour a day in the make-up chair.
14. The baseball bat used by Harley Quinn was given to Kevin Smith as a “thank you” for hosting Dawn of the Justice League.
15. The Ace Chemicals scene where Joker finishes Harley’s transformation was initially longer in the original cut, with Harley jumping into the chemicals and with more bits of dialogue from Joker.
16. It took the make-up team five hours for the prosthetic make-up to be applied to Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, with the make-up applied to his head and shoulders, while the rest was body paint.
17. Jared Leto visited New York Comic Con 2015 in disguise, and took a picture with an unsuspecting fan cosplaying the Joker.
18. Margot Robbie did the majority of her own stunts.
19. Many of the Joker’s scenes were omitted from the final cut.
20. The Batmobile chase scene with Batman pursuing Harley Quinn and Joker was originally longer, with more interaction between Joker and Harley. One of the examples, presented in all the trailers, is the Joker punching the roof of his car.
21. Killer Croc has only eight lines of dialogue in the movie, totaling 64 words.
22. Viola Davis read M.E. Thomas’ autobiography “Confessions of a Sociopath” to prepare for her role as Amanda Waller.
23. The strip club that Harley Quinn dances in is the Joker’s establishment, Smile and Grin.
24. It took three hours each day to apply the tattoos and make-up to Jared Leto for the Joker.
25. Jared Leto said in an interview about acting alongside Margot Robbie: “Margot is very easy to have chemistry with. She’s incredibly talented and very sweet and a great actress. The perfect partner for me and the Joker.”
26. Jai Courtney was reported as saying, “I’ll never be in a comic book movie.” He changed his mind after finding out that David Ayer was to direct and produce the movie.
27. The Enchantress is the name of villainous characters in both DC and Marvel Comics, who coincidentally both wield magic and are clothed in green. The Enchantress of Marvel is a rival of Thor, while DC’s is not primarily an antagonist on any one hero. In Suicide Squad, she has been completely re-designed in order to look visually different and unique.
28. David Ayer cast Cara Delevingne before there was a script. He asked her to prepare for her role as Enchantress by stripping naked in the woods, preferably underneath a full moon, and walking in the mud at night. She reportedly did so, on the secluded compound of her sister’s mansion.
29. Joker tells Harley that he has some grape soda waiting for her. Harley drank grape soda in one of her most famous comic books, Paul Dini’s Mad Love, as she waited for Batman to wake up to kill him.
30. In an interview, David Ayer said that in Suicide Squad, a different side of Batman can be seen, as he is shown from a villain’s perspective.