With the Battle Bond Ability, Greninja can transform into a special form known as Ash-Greninja. Greninja with the Ability Battle Bond cannot breed. take a look below for 28 interesting and amazing facts about Greninja.
1. Greninja is a bipedal, frog like Pokemon.
2. It is mostly dark blue with a yellow chest, a white triangular marking over each eye, a light blue four-pointed star on each thigh, and yellow on the lower half of its face.
3. It has red eyes with white pupils and its mouth is hidden behind a large, pink tongue that wraps around its neck and extends outward behind its head.
4. Running down the middle of its head is a fin-like extension, and there is a similar fin on each side of its head.
5. Light blue webbing connects its head fins.
6. There is a large, white bubble-like bump on each elbow and knee.
7. Its back feet have two toes, while its front feet have three toes.
8. Each digit has a bulbous tip and yellow webbing.
9. Greninja moves with the speed and grace of a ninja.
10. It uses swift movements to confuse its enemies while it slices them up with throwing stars made of compressed water.
11. These throwing stars are sharp enough to split metal.
12. In the past, Water Shuriken and Mat Block were its signature moves.
13. Through a transformation called Bond Phenomenon, Ash’s Greninja in the anime and any Greninja with the Ability Battle Bond in Generation VII can change into an alternate form called Ash-Greninja.
14. In this form, Greninja’s skin turns a lighter shade of blue, while its face gains red stripes and its cheeks and side fins turn black, changing shape to resemble Ash’s hair.
15. Its legs are stronger in this form, and it gains the ability to form large Water Shurikens on its back.
16. Greninja has the highest base Speed stat of all fully evolved starter Pokémon.
17. Ash-Greninja has the highest base Speed stat of all Dark-type Pokémon.
18. Greninja is the only starter Pokémon that has more than two possible Abilities, and the only Pokémon with an event-exclusive Ability.
19. Ash-Greninja has the highest base stat total of all fully evolved starter Pokémon.
20. Greninja shares its category with Ninjask. They are both known as the Ninja Pokémon.
21. It was revealed that Greninja was added into Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U before Pokémon X and Y was even released. Masahiro Sakurai knew that a Generation VI Pokémon was going to be a playable fighter in that game, so when Greninja was decided, all they had to go on in terms of design was concept art, similar to Roy during the development of Super Smash Bros. Melee.
22. During the Pokémon of the Year event held by the Pokémon Company International and Google from February 2019 to February 2020, Greninja won 1st place with a number of 140,559 votes. It beat out Lucario in 2nd place with 102,259 votes and Mimikyu in 3rd place with 99,077 votes.
23. Greninja’s overall appearance is based on a frog, and it may have been inspired by horned frogs from the genera Megophrys and Ceratophrys due to the spiked protrusions above its eyes. Its color scheme and body shape is similar to that of the splendid leaf frog. The bubble-like protrusions on its body may be based on a toad’s parotoid glands, possibly referencing the traditional myth of toads causing warts, though they may also be remnants of Froakie and Frogadier’s frubbles.
24. As its species name implies, Greninja is also based on a ninja. Japanese culture associates frogs and toads with ninjas based on the folk story “The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya” (児雷也豪傑物語 Jiraiya Gōketsu Monogatari) about a ninja who can shapeshift into a large toad. Greninja and its pre-evolutions may also draw inspiration from the thief or rogue class as they often rely on speed and stealth and are often seen as nimble or ranged combatants while tending to focus more on dodging attacks rather than withstanding damage.
25. Ash-Greninja’s appearance is based on Ash’s attire in the XY series.
26. Greninja is a combination of grenouille (French for frog) and ninja.
27. Ash’s Frogadier evolved into a Greninja in A Festival of Decisions! while battling Heidayu’s Bisharp. It soon gained the ability to transform into Ash-Greninja.
28. A Greninja appeared in A Stealthy Challenge!, under the ownership of Sanpei. It reappeared in The Legend of the Ninja Hero! and A Festival of Decisions!. It was mostly seen outside of its Poké Ball.