Umbreon is a Dark type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Eevee when leveled up with high friendship during the night, or when leveled up with high friendship with a Moon Shard in the Bag. It is one of Eevee’s final forms, the others being Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon. It is a starter Pokemon in Pokemon Colosseum alongside the other Generation II Eeveelution, Espeon. Take a look below for 28 fun and fascinating facts about Umbreon.
1. Umbreon has a sleek, black body with four slender legs and crimson eyes.
2. It has two pairs of pointed teeth (one in the upper jaw and one in the lower jaw) which are visible when its mouth is open.
3. It has long, pointed ears and a bushy tail, each with a yellow band around them.
4. Its forehead and legs have yellow rings on them.
5. Its yellow markings glow at night and strike fear into anyone nearby.
6. It hides in the darkness while waiting for its opponents, and its yellow rings glow when it leaps to attack.
7. It is also capable of spraying a poisonous sweat whenever it gets agitated.
8. This Pokémon is rare in the wild, and is more often found in urban areas under the care of people.
9. Eevee cannot be evolved into Espeon or Umbreon in FireRed and LeafGreen due to the lack of a time system. In order to be obtained and added to the Pokédex in these versions, an Eevee must be traded to Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Versions, evolved there, and then traded back, or else traded from Pokémon Colosseum or Pokémon XD.
10. According to the Diamond and Pearl Pokédex, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Leafeon have identical footprints.
11. Umbreon is the only non-Psychic-type Pokémon to be able to have the Ability Synchronize.
12. Umbreon is the only Eeveelution that had a unique type combination in its debut generation.
13. Umbreon was designed by Atsuko Nishida.
14. Umbreon is tied with Mega Gyarados and Hoopa Unbound for the highest base Special Defense of all Dark-type Pokémon.
15. Umbreon’s origins are uncertain, though it could be based on a black cat, which was considered to be an omen of bad luck (in Western countries, contrary to Japan’s viewpoint in which they considered it lucky), and can be interpreted as the reasoning behind the Dark typing.
16. Its long ears are similar to those of a hare and may originate from the East Asian legends concerning a Moon rabbit.
17. The rings on Umbreon’s body resemble Egyptian lunar markings and jewelry that have been associated with animal sculptures, such as cat statues of the Egyptian goddess Bastet. While Bastet was originally a lioness warrior and the goddess of the sun, Greeks occupying ancient Egypt toward the end of its civilization changed her into the goddess of the moon. This change may have drawn some of the inspiration for the Pokémon’s lunar theme.
18. Umbreon may be inspired by Tezcatlipoca, a central deity in Aztec religion who took the form of a black jaguar that had yellow horizontal bands, and was associated with the night sky.
19. Umbreon is a combination of umbra (Latin for shadow and ghost, as well as the English word for the moon’s silhouette during a solar eclipse) and eon, a shortened form of evolution, the word also meaning an immeasurably long period of time (possibly referring to how long evolution takes naturally). Eon is a suffix all Eevee evolutions share and was Eevee’s English prototype name.
20. Gary’s Eevee was revealed to have evolved into an Umbreon some time before Power Play!.
21. Gladion’s Umbreon debuted in A Glaring Rivalry!, having evolved from an Eevee he rescued as a toddler.
22. An Umbreon appeared in Trouble’s Brewing and Espeon, Not Included, under the ownership Tamao, one of the Kimono Sisters. It rescued Sakura’s Eevee from Team Rocket when they disrupted the Kimono Sisters’ tea ceremony.
23. An Umbreon debuted in Strategy Begins at Home!, under the ownership of Johanna. It was used in a two-on-two Contest Battle alongside Glameow, where they went up against Dawn’s Piplup and Pachirisu. Umbreon reappeared in Challenging a Towering Figure! at the start of the Festival Battle Challenge. It later reappeared again in DPS01, where it participated in a battle against Piplup and Cyndaquil, before the match was called off.
24. A male Umbreon debuted in Team Eevee and the Pokémon Rescue Squad!, along with an Eevee and her evolved forms at the time, under the ownership of Virgil. In a flashback, it was revealed that he evolved from an Eevee when he and Virgil got lost in a forest and had to spend a night there. Umbreon then reappeared in Lost at the League! and Strong Strategy Steals the Show!, and in a flashback in Curtain Up, Unova League!.
25. An Umbreon appeared in Eevee & Friends with an Eevee and its evolved forms, including the newly introduced Sylveon. It has a mysterious personality and is friends with a Weavile, Gible, Gothita, Gothorita, and Gothitelle.
26. A Trainer’s Umbreon appeared in Turning Heads and Training Hard!, where it was summoned to help Ilima’s Eevee perform Extreme Evoboost. It reappeared in the Poké Problem segment of the next episode, where it saw Ilima and Eevee off.
27. An Umbreon appeared in Gary’s demonstration in Johto Photo Finish, where it evolved from an Eevee.
28. An Umbreon appeared in Brock’s demonstration in A Bite to Remember, where it evolved from an Eevee.