Cyndaquil is a Fire type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves into Quilava starting at level 14, which evolves into Typhlosion starting at level 36. Along with Chikorita and Totodile, Cyndaquil is one of the three starter Pokemon of Johto available at the beginning of Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold and Soul Silver. Take a look below for 23 amazing and interesting facts about Cyndaquil.
1. Cyndaquil is a small, bipedal Pokemon with bluish fur on top of its body and cream colored fur on its underside.
2. Its eyes are usually seen closed, and it has a long, thin snout.
3. Its arms are short, but its legs are slightly more developed and have a single nail on each foot.
4. On its back are four red circles that can erupt into flames.
5. When the flames are burning, its back seems to be covered in spines.
6. Cyndaquil is capable of defending itself using these flames, and the fire grows more powerful as it becomes angry or defensive. However, if it is tired, the flames are not able to burn properly.
7. It is usually timid by nature and often curls into a ball when intimidated.
8. Though rare in the wild, it can be found living on grasslands.
9. Cyndaquil’s appearance is based on the echidna, but it also has traits of shrews, anteaters, and tenrecs, such as its long snout, and having little to no tail.
10. Its closed eyes may be a reference to baby honey badgers, as its final evolved form is based on one.
11. When its fire is lit, the fire resembles the quills of the porcupine.
12. Cyndaquil is a combination of cinder (ashes) and quill (referring to needle-like hairs).
13. Ash caught a Cyndaquil in Good ‘Quil Hunting. During its early days on Ash’s team, Cyndaquil would easily become tired out (e.g. waiting a while for the flames on its back to ignite so it could use Fire-type attacks). Eventually, Cyndaquil overcame its shortcomings. Following the end of his journey in Johto, Ash left Cyndaquil, along with the rest of his Johto team (save for Pikachu), at Professor Oak’s lab when he set out for Hoenn. Later, Ash called Cyndaquil back into his party for the Sinnoh League in An Old Family Blend!. It evolved into Quilava after a battle with Team Rocket’s mecha.
14. Cyndaquil is Jimmy’s starter Pokémon that he received from Professor Elm. It evolved all the way to Typhlosion prior to The Legend of Thunder!.
15. In An Egg Scramble!, Dawn defeated Lyra in a battle, winning an Egg. Shortly after, the Egg hatched into a Cyndaquil. It later evolved into a Quilava in DPS01.
16. Cyndaquil debuted in Don’t Touch That ‘dile as one of the three starter Pokémon Professor Elm had to give out at his lab.
17. A Cyndaquil appeared in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, where it assisted Pikachu and Spiky-eared Pichu during the past.
18. A Cyndaquil appeared in Queen of the Serpentine! as one of Lucy’s pets.
19. A Cyndaquil appeared in Classroom Training!, under the ownership of the Snowpoint Trainers’ School.
20. A Trainer’s Cyndaquil briefly appeared in An Old Family Blend!, where it was seen during the Lily of the Valley Conference.
21. A Cyndaquil appeared in Meloetta’s Moonlight Serenade as one of the Pokémon watching Meloetta’s concert.
22. Four Trainers’ Cyndaquil appeared in A Crowning Moment of Truth!, where they were among the Pokémon attending the Wela Fire Festival.
23. Two Cyndaquil appeared in The Power of Us. One was under the ownership of a Trainer, while Callahan caught the other as part of the Pokémon Catch Race.