Jynx is a dual type Ice and Psychic Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Smoochum starting at level 30. Take a look below for 28 fun and awesome facts about Jynx.
1. Jynx is a bipedal, humanoid Pokemon that resembles a woman.
2. It has a purple face, pink lips, saucer-like eyes, and long blonde hair.
3. It wears a red gown with two gold circlets on the chest.
4. While the anime has shown it to possess feet, the 3D games show only blackness under the dress and it lacks a footprint.
5. It has white arms and five-fingered purple hands.
6. Jynx is a female-only species with no male counterpart.
7. Originally, its face was colored black.
8. Pokémon Stadium’s fainting animation had it disappear leaving only its hair behind, implying that what appears to be dark-colored skin is actually just darkness.
9. Jynx has a language that sounds similar to human speech and includes several cry patterns. However, this language has yet to be deciphered. It prefers to communicate by using dance-like movements.
10. These rhythmic movements often cause people to dance along with it.
11. It puts its enemies to sleep using its signature move, Lovely Kiss.
12. Jynx often is found in urban areas.
13. As its Pokédex entries state that Jynx speaks an incomprehensible language, the player, as a Pokémon, cannot understand anything it says in the Mystery Dungeon series.
14. A Capsule Monsters concept sketch depicts an unused Pokémon design with the same Pokédex number as Jynx.
15. Jynx has the longest cry of any Pokémon, lasting 2.238 seconds.
16. Jynx’s sprite in the Virtual Console re-release of Yellow seems to use five colors instead of four, a technical impossibility for a Game Boy Color game. To achieve this effect, some of the 8×8 tiles composing the sprite use an altered palette, where black is replaced with purple.
17. What Jynx is based on is a controversial topic within the fandom, although common interpretations are a Nordic or a Viking woman (possibly Hel, goddess of the underworld), or ganguro (face-black). Also, the fact that Jynx are depicted as Santa’s helpers in the anime may reference the folklore character Zwarte Piet.
18. Jynx also has the traits of a female opera singer, especially the iconic cartoon depiction of the fat lady; Pokémon Snap and its third generation sprites depict it singing, especially the Emerald sprite that animates it singing a high note. Jynx may also have origins in the Japanese spirits known as Yuki-onna, who lack feet, akin to Jynx’s feet being covered by its dress.
19. It may also be based on Yama-uba (also called Yamanba), a yōkai which is described as always wearing a tattered red kimono, having whitish-blonde hair, control over snow, dark-colored skin, and large lips, traits which are evident in Jynx. “Yamanba” is also a slang for the extreme end of ganguro fashion, which involves bleached hair, artificial tanning, and heavy applying of brightly-colored lipstick.
20. Its revised coloring may be based on purple discoloration of the skin, a common symptom of frostbite. This fits with Jynx’s Ice type and how it is found in very cold places.
21. Jynx is a corruption of jinx, a curse or hex of bad luck.
22. Multiple Jynx debuted in Holiday Hi-Jynx, where they were workers at Santa Claus’s workshop. One of Santa’s Jynx got lost, requiring Ash and his friends to help her return to her owner.
23. Prima owns a Jynx, which she used to send Team Rocket blasting off in The Mandarin Island Miss Match.
24. In the banned episode EP250, a Nurse Joy owned a Jynx, rather than a Chansey. Brock almost kissed this Human Shape Pokémon during his sickly state.
25. A Jynx was used by Erica in the Pacifidlog Town Pokémon Contest in Mean With Envy and Pacifidlog Jam. This also marked Jynx’s first anime appearance in her purple redesign.
26. A trio of Jynx sisters appeared in Three Jynx and a Baby! as residents of Cremini Town. They were overprotective towards their sister, a Smoochum. The Smoochum evolved into a fourth Jynx at the end of the episode. This marks the last time Jynx has appeared in the anime to date.
27. A Jynx appeared in Stage Fight!, under the ownership of the Pokémon Showboat stage show staff.
28. A Jynx appeared in the Japanese credits of Pikachu’s Rescue Adventure.