Zillah is a city in Yakima County, Washington, United States, with a population of 2,964 as of the 2010 census. Take a look below for 15 awesome and interesting facts about Zillah, Washington, United States.
1. Zillah was founded in 1891 following the completion of the Sunnyside Canal project, an irrigation scheme delivering water from the Yakima River to the arid lower Yakima Valley.
2. Walter Granger, superintendent of the canal company, chose the town site in 1892.
3. The town was named for Miss Zillah Oakes, daughter of Thomas Fletcher Oakes, who, as president of the Northern Pacific Railway, had backed the building of the canal.
4. The town was named after Miss Zillah because she would scream and cry on the way to the new town, while on the trip her father promised to name the town after her if she would stop.
5. Granger housed the headquarters of the Washington Irrigation Company in Zillah, giving it economical advantages for a time.
6. He also made his residency in Zillah, becoming its mayor after retiring from the irrigation company. Zillah was officially incorporated on January 5, 1911.
7. Zillah is located on Interstate 82 about 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Yakima.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.78 square miles (4.61 km2), all of it land.
9. As of the census of 2010, there were 2,964 people, 1,033 households, and 741 families living in the city.
10. The population density was 1,665.2 inhabitants per square mile (642.9/km2).
11. There were 1,105 housing units at an average density of 620.8 per square mile (239.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 63.8% White, 0.3% African American, 3.8% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 27.1% from other races, and 3.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 42.5% of the population.
12. There were 1,033 households, of which 43.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.0% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 28.3% were non-families.
13. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.40.
14. The median age in the city was 31.9 years. 31.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.3% were from 25 to 44; 22.9% were from 45 to 64; and 9.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.8% male and 50.2% female.
15. The Zillah School District is a small rural district of approximately 1,250 students.