Rosamund Mary Ellen Pike, born January 27, 1979, is an English actress who began her acting career by appearing in stage productions such as Romeo and Juliet and Skylight. After her screen debut in the television movie A Rather English Marriage and television roles in Wives and Daughters and Love in a Cold Climate, she received international recognition for her movie debut as Bond girl Miranda Frost in Die Another Day. Take a look below for 27 more fun and interesting facts about Rosamund Pike.
1. For her role as Bond girl Miranda Frost in Die Another Day, Pike received the Empire Award for Best Newcomer.
2. Following her breakthrough performance, she won the BIFA Award for Best Supporting Actress for The Libertine and portrayed Jane Bennet in Pride & Prejudice.
3. Pike had film appearances in the sci-fi movie Doom, the crime mystery thriller movie Fracture, the drama movie Fugitive Pieces, the coming-of-age drama An Education, for which she was nominated for the London Film Critics Circle Award for British Supporting Actress of the Year, and sci-fi comedy The World’s End.
4. Pike received the British Independent Film Award nominations for An Education, Made in Dagenham, and was nominated for a Genie Award for Barney’s Version.
5. In 2014, her performance in the psychological thriller movie Gone Girl was met with widespread critical acclaim and she was awarded the Saturn Award for Best Actress and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama, and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role.
6. Pike received acclaim for her role as Ruth Williams Khama in the biographical drama A United Kingdom and is nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Actress for her role in the western Hostiles.
7. Pike was born in London, England, and is the only daughter of opera singers Caroline and Julian Pike.
8. Her father is a professor of music and the head of operatic studies at the Birmingham Conservatoire.
9. Her family traveled across Europe until she was seven years old, following wherever her parents’ performing careers took them.
10. Pike won a scholarship to Badminton School in Bristol, and while appearing as Juliet in a production of Romeo and Juliet at the National Youth Theater, she was noticed by an agent, who helped her get into a professional career.
11. After being turned down by each stage school to which she applied, she gained a place to study English literature at Wadham College, Oxford, from which she graduated.
12. She took a year off school to pursue her acting career, gaining stage experience in David Hare’s Skylight, Arthur Miller’s All My Sons, and several plays by Shakespeare.
13. She graduated with a magna cum laude in English Literature from Oxford University’s Wadham College.
14. She went to the same school as the famous Irish writer Irish Murdoch.
15. Pike was friends with Chelsea Clinton while at Wadham College, Oxford. Not only are they both the same height, they’re both fluent in German and they’re both only children.
16. The age difference between her and Halle Berry in Die Another Day, 12 years and 5 months, is the greatest age different between two Bond girls in one movie since Alison Doody and Grace Jones, which was a difference of 18 years, in A View to a Kill.
17. She was engaged to Joe Wright, having met when he directed her on the set of Pride & Prejudice, after he proposed to her on Lake Como in Italy.
18. She gave birth to her first child at age 33, a son named Solo Uniacke on May 6, 2012. The child’s father is her long-term boyfriend, Robie Uniacke.
19. She was 5 months pregnant with her son Solo when she completed filming on Jack Reacher.
20. Pike turned down the role of Rita Skeeter on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in order to star in Pride & Prejudice. The role went to Miranda Richardson.
21. Pike played two different characters in the James bond franchise: Miranda Frost in Die Another Day and Pussy Galore in BBC4’s 2010 radio adaption of Goldfinger. Die Another Day co-star Toby Stephens played James Bond in the BBC radio series.
22. David Fincher had her undergo rigorous boxing training with welterweight champion Holly Lawson for her role in Gone Girl.
23. She returned to work 4 months after giving birth to her son Solo to begin filming The World’s End.
24. Pike gave birth to her second child at the age of 35, a son named Atom Uniacke at home on December 2, 2014.
25. In 2014, the press gave her the moniker “Bond Girl to Gone Girl,” because of the similar characters she played in both the James Bond movie Die Another Day and in Gone Girl.
26. She auditioned for the role of Danielle In The Worlds, but the role went to Olivia Wilde.
27. She turned down the role of Jess Barrett in Focus, which went to Margot Robbie.