Margot Elise Robbie, born July 2, 1990, is an Australian actress and film producer. In 2017, Time Magazine named her as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World and Forbes featured her in their 30 under 30 list. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Margot Robbie.
1. Born and raised on a farm in Dalby, Queensland, Robbie studied drama at Somerset College.
2. Robbie began her career in Australian independent films in the late 2000s, before working in the soap opera Neighbors, which earned her two Logie Award nominations.
3. After moving to the United States, she starred in the short-lived ABC drama series Pan Am.
4. In 2013, she had a supporting role in the romantic comedy About Time, and made her breakthrough later that year by co-starring in Martin Scorsese’s biographical black comedy The Wolf of Wall Street.
5. Robbie launched a production company called LuckyChap Entertainment in 2014.
6. Her popularity continued to grow with leading roles int he romantic drama Focus, the action adventure movie The Legend of Tarzan, and the superhero movie Suicide Squad.
7. Robbie received critical acclaim in 2017 for her portrayal of the disgraced figure skater Tonya Harding in the biographical movie I, Tonya, which she also produced.
8. She was featured in Inside Film Magazine’s 2012 Rising Talent issue. The special feature profiled 25 rising young Australian actors including Jai Courtney, Alex Russell, Adelaide Clemens and David Ludlow.
9. Robbie is a fan of the New York Rangers hockey team. The first place she lived when she moved to America was New York.
10. She was originally cast as Penelope Lanier in A Bigger Splash but dropped out to do The Legend of Tarzan instead. She was replaced by Dakota Johnson.
11. Robbie learned to hold her breath for up to five minutes while filming Suicide Squad.
12. She took three shots of tequila prior to filming her sex scenes with Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street.
13. She had a chunk of her right eyebrow shaved off by Suicide Squad director David Ayer on the first day of filming the movie.
14. Robbie turned down the role of Sam Thomson in the Oscar winning movie Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). The role ultimately went to Emma Stone, which earned her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
15. She began dabbling in the world of tattooing while filming Suicide Squad. In addition to giving fellow cast members a tattoo reading “SKWAD”, she has given over 20 tattoos including one she gave herself. During filming, she opened Harley’s Tattoo Parlor and gave tattoos to fellow cast members, members of the crew, and director David Ayer.
16. She is often more than a full decade younger than her male romantic counterpart. Alexander Skarsgard was 13 years older than Robbie when they acted in The Legend of Tarzan. Leonardo DiCaprio was 15 years her senior in The Wold of Wall Street and Will Smith was more than 20 years older than her when she played his love interest in Focus.
17. She didn’t need to submit a demo reel or audition for the role of Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad because it was offered to her.
18. She performed the majority of her own stunts in Suicide Squad. Director David Ayer stated that her stunt double spent more time sitting around in the trailers than actually performing stunts because Robbie wanted to do them herself.
19. She had auditioned for the role of Sue Storm in Fantastic Four, but the role was given to Kate Mara instead.
20. David Ayer said during the San Diego Comic Con International 2016 that it was a blessing to have Robbie on board as Harley Quinn because not many actresses would have tolerate what she went through to prepare for and perform the role.
21. After shooting for Suicide Squad ended, Robbie kept the jacket worn by Harley Quinn and her baseball bat.
22. Robbie refused to lose weight for the role of Jane Porter in The Legend of Tarzan and has said that she would rather focus on being healthy than being skinny.
23. She dressed up as James Franco’s character from Spring Breakers for Halloween, complete with cornrows.
24. Her younger brother, Cameron Robbie, felt inspired to pursue acting after seeing the success of his older sister. Her older brother, Lachlan Robbie, also works in the film industry as a stuntman.
25. While living in London, Robbie attended a party with Suicide Squad co-star Cara Delevingne and unknowingly took a photobooth photo with Prince Harry of Wale.s She mistook him for British singer Ed Sheeran.
26. Robbie’s character, Donna Freedman, on Neighbors was one of the first bisexual characters portrayed on Australian television. She even shared an on-screen kiss with female co-star, Hany Lee. The portrayal of Robbie’s character was criticized by the Australian Family Association for normalizing same-sex relationships.
27. Robbie is a natural brunette, but she started dying her hair blonde after it became apparent that the film industry preferred blonde actresses.
28. Despite a growing net worth, Robbie doesn’t spent a lot of her money and prefers to live with roommates to save as much money as possible. She claims that growing up knowing what it was like to not have access to everything is continually humbling for her.
29. She worked three jobs simultaneously while studying at Somerset College in Queensland, including retail, secretary work, selling surfboard, and making sandwiches at Subway. After graduating at age 17, she moved to Melbourne to pursue acting full time.
30. Upon leaving the Australian soap opera Neighbors, Robbie wanted to have her character killed in a dramatic way. Instead, the series writers chose to send her character to college, so she had the option to return to the series in case her move to the United States was unsuccessful.