Articuno is a dual type Ice and Flying Legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Along with Zapdos and Moltres, it is one of the three Legendary birds of Kanto. Take a look below for 27 amazing and interesting facts about Articuno.
1. Articuno is a large avian Pokemon with predominantly blue plumage and wings said to be made of ice.
2. On its forehead is a crest that consists of three, darker blue rhombus-shaped feathers.
3. It has circular red eyes, a short gray beak, and long, thin gray legs.
4. Each foot has three forward facing toes and one that faces backward.
5. On its chest is a mass of pale blue, downy feathers.
6. Its long, streamer-like tail is longer than its body and the same shade of blue as its crest.
7. When Articuno flaps its wings, it can chill the moisture in the air around it, making snow fall.
8. It flies from icy mountain to icy mountain.
9. According to legend, it appears before doomed travelers lost in icy regions.
10. As seen in the anime, Articuno sometimes aids travelers and guides them to safety.
11. Articuno lives in cold, isolated locations.
12. In the second episode of the anime, there is an engraving on a wall in the Viridian City Pokémon Center that depicts the Legendary birds. Ash mistakes the Articuno engraving as Ho-Oh. While the blue coloration of the stone indicates the Ice type, and the wings and crest feathers are those of Articuno, the multiple tail feathers look nothing like Articuno’s tail, being more similar in appearance to those of Ho-Oh.
13. In Red, Blue, and Yellow, as well as FireRed and LeafGreen, there are binoculars in the gate separating Fuchsia City from Route 15, through which Articuno can be seen flying toward the sea. In a lapse of continuity, or possibly due to oversight by the designers, it is still visible in the binoculars even if it is captured or defeated in the Seafoam Islands.
14. In the opening of Spring Fever, Todd points out a tall mountain that is Articuno’s home. This mountain is, on the outside, the same as Ice Island, Articuno’s home in The Power of One.
15. In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, it is the only one in its trio that cannot be encountered unless the player enters an event password.
16. Articuno was the last Generation I Pokémon to be introduced in the anime, and the only one that did not appear in Season 1, if movies and banned episodes are included (Mew is the last if its appearances in movies are not counted).
17. Articuno is the only Pokémon other than Smeargle and Poliwrath that is able to learn an accuracy-focusing move and a OHKO move, learning Mind Reader and Sheer Cold. An Articuno using this combination can be fought in the Battle Subway.
18. Articuno may be based on the Simurgh, deriving from the Persian rokh, which is a giant arctic bird. Its long tail and small body also may be reference to the quetzal.
19. In addition, it is anatomically similar to the white-throated magpie-jay.
20. Articuno is a combination of arctic (far northern regions of the globe) and uno (Spanish for one, indicating that it is the first in the series of Kanto Legendary birds).
21. Articuno debuted in The Power of One. Lawrence III wanted to capture the three Legendary birds, as well as their master Lugia, for his own personal collection.
22. Articuno made its main series debut in Moving Pictures, where it was seen flying at a distance. It reappeared in the same way in Spring Fever. Todd had gone to search for Articuno in the Johto region so he could add its photograph to his photo album, and followed it to Snowtop Mountain, where he finally took a snapshot of it in Freeze Frame.
23. The Frontier Brain Noland uses a befriended wild Articuno against certain challengers, as seen in Numero Uno Articuno and The Symbol Life, when he accepted Ash’s challenge and battled Charizard; it was eventually defeated.
24. The Mirage Master briefly wielded the power of a Mirage Articuno in The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon.
25. An Articuno appeared in Team Rocket’s fantasy in An EGG-sighting Adventure!.
26. An Articuno made a cameo appearance in the opening sequence of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
27. An Articuno made a brief cameo in the opening sequence of The Rise of Darkrai, where it was seen flying across the sky.