Dodrio is a dual type Normal and Flying Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Doduo starting at level 31. Take a look below for 26 fun and interesting facts about Dodrio.
1. Dodrio is a large, wingless, three headed avian Pokemon.
2. Each head has a long, sharp beak and a black V-shaped, feather crest.
3. It has bristly brown feathers covering its heads and upper body, while its lower half has a smooth layer of black feathers.
4. Its tail consists of three pale red feathers with lighter tips.
5. Its wingless body rests on two long and slender, but powerful legs with feet that have three clawed toes in front and one in back.
6. A male has black necks, whereas a female has brown necks; both genders have brown legs.
7. Each head has its own working brain and distinct personality.
8. Each head represents and expresses either sorrow, anger, or joy.
9. Despite being separate, it has the innate ability to use all three of its brains to collect data, formulate, and then execute complex plans and strategies. However, on occasion it may overthink, which causes it to become immobilized and unable to carry out any action whatsoever.
10. Being separate individuals on the same body, the three heads will continue to bicker until they, or at least one of the heads gets to eat.
11. This satisfies the other two heads, quelling them and temporarily ending their infighting.
12. Another form of adaptation that it has acquired is the ability to have at least one head alert at all times.
13. Extreme caution is advised when all three heads are facing separate directions.
14. It is in this state that it is the most dangerous and going near it may result in a severe pecking.
15. Along with its three heads, it has three sets of hearts and lungs as well. This allows it to efficiently oxygenate and pump blood throughout its body, thus giving it increased endurance to run vast distances without rest.
16. It is especially prone to race vigorously across grassy plains, even in arid seasons with little rainfall.
17. While one of its heads is saying something in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, the others say me too or mine too, but its pre-evolved form’s other head will not.
18. Dodrio is the only Pokémon whose National Pokédex number is the whole number portion of its weight in kilograms.
19. Not including the intro video, Dodrio was the first Pokémon to appear in the flesh in the anime (all others before that were either dreamt of by Ash, or else shown on the TV in his room).
20. According to its Pokédex entries, Doduo can run at 60 mph (100 km/h), while Dodrio can only run at nearly 40 mph (60 km/h). However, Dodrio’s base Speed stat is higher.
21. Dodrio is featured in the Generation III wireless mini-game, Dodrio Berry Picking, where it is required that players own a Dodrio to be able to play.
22. Before Generation IV, the necks of normal Dodrio were beige (which became the female neck color), while its pre-evolution’s necks were black (which became the male neck color).
23. Despite its name, Dodrio seems like it has more in common with ostriches than dodos. It also seems to show some similarities to the moa, an extinct flightless bird; and the emu, another flightless bird. It also resembles the kiwi in some ways as well. Its crests also indicate it was based on cassowaries.
24. Dodrio is a combination of dodo (an extinct, flightless bird) and trio (group of three).
25. A Dodrio appeared in The Flame Pokémon-athon!, under the ownership of Dario. Dario used it to compete in the Big P Pokémon Race, but was beaten by Ash, who was riding Lara Laramie’s Ponyta, which eventually evolved into Rapidash. Multiple other Dodrio were also seen at the Laramie Ranch.
26. A Dodrio appeared in Fighting Flyer with Fire, under the ownership of Falkner. It was used during his Gym battle against Ash. It battled Pikachu and initially had the upper hand against him, but it was eventually defeated after Ash used Falkner’s strategy with Dodrio against it.