Ampharos is an Electric type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves from Flaaffy starting at level 30. It is the final form of Mareep. It can Mega Evolve into Mega Ampharos using the Ampharosite. Take a look below for 26 amazing and interesting facts about Ampharos.
1. Ampharos is a yellow, bipedal Pokemon with a white belly.
2. It has conical ears with black stripes and a red orb on its forehead.
3. Its long neck has several black rings around it near the base.
4. Its stubby arms resemble flippers and each foot has a single white nail.
5. It has a long, black-striped tail with a red orb at the tip.
6. The orb on its tail can shine so bright, that it can be seen from space.
7. People have used the light as a beacon, or to send signals across the ocean.
8. Ampharos is generally found in grasslands, though it can also be found in farms alongside its pre-evolved forms Mareep and Flaaffy.
9. As Mega Ampharos, its toes turn black and it regrows white wool at the back of its head and over its tail, having its genes stimulated by Mega Evolution.
10. This energy also awakens its long-sleeping dragon blood.
11. Its long wooly tail has many small, red orbs attached to it.
12. Its conical ears retain their stripes, but are now segmented with swirled tips.
13. When it increases the amount of electrical energy within itself, the red orbs on its body and wool emit a strong light.
14. An early design for Ampharos depicts it without a long neck or red orbs.
15. Ampharos shares the same category with Lanturn. They are both known as the Light Pokémon.
16. Mega Ampharos has the highest base Special Defense stat of all Electric-type Pokémon.
17. Mega Ampharos has the highest Special Attack stat of all non-legendary Dragon-type Pokémon.
18. During the development of Pokémon Gold and Silver, Ampharos was stated to be an Electric/Dragon-type Pokémon. It later gained an Electric/Dragon-type Mega Evolution in Generation VI.
19. Ampharos resembles a sheared sheep that its evolutionary line leads up to as they lose wool with each evolution. It also shares traits with a lighthouse, such as its height, stripes, and the beacon on the top; the two also share a name.
20. It, as well as its pre-evolved forms, may have been based on the title of the sci-fi novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Mega Ampharos’s Dragon type, mane, and slender body suggest that it is based on a Chinese dragon.
21. Ampharos is a combination of amp (a measure of electrical current) and pharos (Greek for lighthouse). It may also be a corruption of amparo (Portuguese and Spanish for aid and protection), referring to its role as a living lighthouse. The name may also incorporate amph- (Greek for both or on both sides) in reference to the two red orbs on its head and tail. Its body shares a similar shape to an amphora, as well as a similar name.
22. Jasmine has an Ampharos that lights up the Glitter Lighthouse in Olivine City, which debuted in Fight for the Light!, thus also marking the species’ debut. It was sick so Ash and his friends went to Cianwood City to pick up medicine. This Ampharos was nicknamed “Sparkle” in the dub.
23. An Ampharos appeared in Manectric Charge, under the ownership of Watt. It was first used to release Ash, May, and Brock’s Pokémon from Team Rocket’s net. It was later used to battle May’s Skitty and ultimately lost.
24. An Ampharos appeared in Those Darn Electabuzz!, under the ownership of Shigeo. It battled his son Corey’s Charizard, nicknamed Don, as part of Don’s training.
25. An Ampharos appeared in A Chip Off the Old Brock, under the ownership of McCauley. Its electricity is used to make special potions for the pharmacy McCauley works at.
26. An Ampharos appeared in Drifloon On the Wind!, under the ownership of Karsten. It assists him with his work at Valley Windworks.