Mareep is an Electric type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves into Flaaffy starting at level 15, which evolves into Ampharos starting at level 30. Take a look below for 25 fun and interesting facts about Mareep.
1. Mareep is a sheep like Pokemon with fluffy cream-colored wool covering its entire body, as well as a curly tuft of wool in the middle of its head.
2. Its head is blue, and it has black eyes.
3. Its four feet are blue and have two digits on each foot, and it appears to be on tiptoe at all times.
4. Its conical ears and tail have a yellow-and-black striped pattern.
5. Mareep has an orange sphere at the end of its tail, which acts like a small light bulb.
6. This sphere glows brighter the more electricity it has.
7. Mareep’s wool, which grows continuously, stores electricity, rubbing together and building a static charge.
8. Its volume increases when it builds up with electricity.
9. Touching the wool when it is charged will result in a static shock.
10. During the summer, the fleece is shed, but it grows back in a week.
11. Air is also stored in its fur, which allows it to stay cool during summer and warm during winter.
12. It tends to avoid battle in the wild and has a mild disposition.
13. Mareep is most often found in grassy fields, though it can also be found in farms where its wool is used in high-quality clothing.
14. Mareep appears to be simply based on a sheep. Its yellowish wool might be inspired by the Golden Fleece in Greek and Roman mythology.
15. It is also likely that its Electric type is a reference on how wool is able to build up static charges. Mareep and its evolved forms may also have been based on the title of the sci-fi novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.
16. Mareep may be a combination of Mary (from the nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb”) and sheep. Mareep is also an anagram of ampere, a unit of electric current.
17. Multiple Mareep debuted in Mild ‘n Wooly, where they were being shepherded by Mary and her mother. Mary had her own Mareep, which was nicknamed “Fluffy”.
18. A Mareep appeared in A Chip Off the Old Brock, under the ownership of Katie. It is used to make potions at her pharmacy.
19. Ten Mareep appeared in The Light of Floccesy Ranch!, under the ownership of Ellie. They reside at her farm and help her out with work.
20. A Mareep appeared in Tricks of the Trade as one of the Pokémon seen at the Pokémon Swap Meet in Palmpona.
21. A Mareep appeared in Hassle in the Castle, under the ownership of Dr. Anna. She uses its electricity to run a low-voltage muscle stimulant machine.
22. A Trainer’s Mareep briefly appeared in Imitation Confrontation.
23. Multiple Mareep appeared in Houndoom’s Special Delivery, under the ownership of a farmer. They were residents of his personal ranch.
24. Multiple Mareep appeared in The Legend of Thunder!, where they were among the Electric-type Pokémon lured by the “Miracle Crystal” that Attila and Hun were using.
25. Multiple Mareep appeared in Misty’s flashback in Gotta Catch Ya Later!.