Helix is a city in Umatilla County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 10 fascinating and interesting facts about Helix, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 184 at the 2010 census.
2. It is part of the Pendleton–Hermiston Micropolitan Statistical Area.
3. Helix, a geometry term and a part of the ear, was originally to be named Oxford, but authorities declined that option when the community’s post office was to be named in 1880.
4. The citizens then decided on Helix since a resident had recently had ear surgery.
5. The author of Oregon Geographic Names, Lewis A. McArthur, had his doubts about the story.
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2), all of it land.
7. Helix School is the predominant employer within the city.
8. The immediate land surrounding Helix is used almost exclusively for dryland farming. The predominant crop is wheat with canola or peas used as a cover crop and break crop. The Stateline Wind Farm and Vansycle Wind Project are nearby.
9. The city is home to the Helix Heart of the Country Rodeo held each Memorial Day weekend.
10. The city also hosts the annual Wheatstock music festival during August.