Shazam, who’s also known as Captain Marvel, is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. The character was created by artist C. C. Beck and writer Bill Parker. He is the alter ego of Billy Batson, a boy who, by speaking the magic word “Shazam”, which is the acronym of six immortal elders, can transform himself into a costumed adult with the powers of superhuman strength, speed, flight and other abilities. Take a look below for 24 more fun and interesting facts about Shazam.
1. Thanks to the Wisdom of Solomon, Shazam has the ability to understand, comprehend and speak any language on Earth.
2. Mary Marvel is the twin sister of Billy Batson, Earth’s mightiest mortal, Shazam. By uttering the name of the wizard Shazam, Mary is granted the powers of the biblical Solomon and the five Olympian gods, becoming Mary Marvel.
3. The Spectre is one of the most powerful beings in the DC universe. He once made Shazam return back to Billy Batson by saying “Shazam.”
4. Shazam and Superman once had an arm wrestling contest and they were both evenly matched.
5. When the wizard granted him his powers, Shazam became the keeper of magic and the living lightning. He can control electricity and can use various spells and enchantments.
6. Sometimes, just for fun, Billy will fly up really high as Captain Marvel, turn back into Billy, and skydive for a few thousand feet before yelling “Shazam”.
7. When Billy Batson turns into Shazam in Pre-New 52, he transforms into his deceased father, who was killed by Teth Adam. It’s implied that he is recreated through Billy’s fleeting memory of his father.
9. Shazam can see the future.
10. Shazam and Wonder Woman managed to destroy a universe while fighting each other.
11. Shazam’s nickname is “The Only Hero Able To Match The Man Of Steel” in the 1960s.
12. When Shazam first obtained his demigod powers, he helped a woman being assaulted, threw the guy across a car’s window, then asked the woman for money as thanks.
13. He was once tricked into giving away his powers to Constantine, therefore, making Constantine the new Shazam.
14. Although Shazam will usually try to avoid physical confrontation, he will always stand up for what is right no matter the personal risks or cost. Billy idolizes Superman and, despite their many clashes, has tried to follow the Man of Steel’s heroic example.
15. When Billy Batson was a child, he often slept in the subway terminals for shelter.
16. In the 1960s, Marvel trademarked Captain Marvel, so when DC licensed all of Fawcett’s characters in 1972, it had to change its own Captain Marvel to Shazam.
17. Danica Williams is dating Shazam.
18. Shazam once punched a monster so hard that he created a black hole.
19. Shazam isn’t completely invulnerable. In several stories, he’s shown to be susceptible to high powered magic, which can weaken or de-power him, and in some older stories, he’s shown to be weak to high voltages of lightning or electricity.
20. In the late 2000s, when Billy replaced the wizard and took on a white costume and the name Marvel, he commanded the various magical abilities once owned by the wizard.
21. When he replaced the wizard, he was required to remain on the Rock of Eternity and could only be away from it for 24 hours at a time.
22. Since the 2011 reboot, Shazam’s powers have been slightly altered. The word “Shazam” doesn’t cause a transformation if Billy doesn’t want it to and it can be used to cast magic spells other than the transformation.
23. Shazam can share his magical powers and bestow unique powers onto members of his family.
24. He’s also able to use magic in as yet unexplored ways, for example, on one occasion he’s using his magic to conjure up items.