Black Canary is a fictional superhero in comic books published by DC Comics. She was created by the writer and artist team of Robert Kanigher and Carmine Infantino. She is one of DC’s earlier superheroes, and she has appeared in many of the company’s flagship team up titles like the Justice Society of America and the Justice League of America. Take a look below for 24 more fun and interesting facts about Black Canary.
1. In the Injustice Universe, Black Canary is on Batman’s side of the Insurgency.
2. The Black Canary’s cry is so powerful that it destroyed the entire island of Gamora, made Superman‘s ears bleed and can launch her over long distances.
3. In her first appearance, Black Canary didn’t have her iconic Canary Cry. Instead, she was a highly skilled fighter.
4. At her Golden Age debut, Black Canary was the alter ego of Dinah Drake and took part in crime fighting adventures with her love interest, and eventual husband, Gotham City detective Larry Lance.
5. When DC Comics adjusted its continuity, Black Canary was established as two separate entities, mother and daughter, Dinah Drake-Lance and Dinah Laurel Lance.
6. Stories since the Silver Age have focused on the younger Black Canary, ascribing her superhuman abilities to a genetic mutation.
7. Although depictions of the Black Canary have varied over the years, she’s often portrayed as a prodigious hand to hand combatant with Boxing, Judo, Suri-Te, and Wing Chun being the most notable of her styles. She has also been trained by top tier fighters such as Wildcat, Lady Shiva, Cassandra Cain and Wonder Woman.
8. She has also been depicted as an expert motorcyclist, gymnast, covert operative and investigator.
9. Black Canary is an excellent leader and tactician, having served as the field commander of the Birds of Prey and was the leader of the Justice League for a time.
10. Her superpower, the Canary Cry, allows her to create ultrasonic vibrations from her mouth whenever she screams. This allows her to severely damage both organic and inorganic objects. Her Canary Cry has been depicted as having the capabilities as most sonic weapons, ten-fold and has even been depicted as breaking metals and as having the resonance to affect and shatter the Earth.
11. In the New 52, Black Canary’s Canary Cry grants her the ability to glide and proper herself across long distances by screaming downwards.
12. The origin of her Canary Cry has been retconned over the course of her character history. It was first depicted as magical due to being cursed by the Wizard. Later, it was depicted as an inborn metahuman ability. However, as of the New 52, her ability is the result of human experimentation by the executive leaders of Team 7 involving her being treated with genes from an alien girl named Ditto.
13. In Justice League America: The Nail, Black Canary leads the Outsiders after Oliver Queen is crippled by Amazo. The partnership dissolves when Queen says that he feels like a mascot.
14. In the DC Elseworlds comic Kingdom Come, Black Canary and Green Arrow are Batman‘s generals. In the future world, the romantic partners have a daughter called Olivia Queen, who’s also known as Black Canary.
15. In the DC Elseworlds comic Elseworld’s Finest: Supergirl and Batgirl, Black Canary is an African American woman who makes a brief appearance.
16. In The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Black Canary is a member of the Super Chix, which is a pop music trio.
17. In League of Justice, which is a Lord of the Rings type Elseworlds story, Black Canary is a goddess like character. Although she has many names, she’s most commonly called the Lady of the Birds.
18. In the 52 multiverse, an African American Black Canary is a member of the Crime Society. In Justice League of America: Earth 2, White Cat is an evil counterpart of Black Canary.
19. On Earth-11, a world of reversed genders, Black Condor is a male version of Black Canary.
20. In The CW’s Arrowverse, Earth-2 Dinah Laurel Lance is a supervillain and metahuman and is known as the Black Siren. She first appeared on The Flash before becoming a regular character on Arrow.
21. During an investigation on drug dealer and crime lord, Dinah became careless and got herself captured. The drug leader, realizing who he had captured, tortured her mercilessly. During the torture, Dinah lost her Canary Cry and her ability to conceive.
22. Dinah plays her harmonica in order to train her breathing technique allowing her to have better control of her Canary Cry ability. It’s also said that her training with the harmonica helped her increase the strength of her Canary Cry.
23. In order to better communicate with her partner, Katana, Dinah had to learn to speak Japanese.
24. The wedding between Dinah and Oliver was a huge event in the DC Comics, as nearly every superhero in the DC Universe attended the wedding. However, the reception was crushed by nearly all of the DC Universe’s supervillains.