Martian Manhunter is a fictional superhero that appears in American comic books published by DC Comics. The character was created by Joseph Samachson and designed by artist Joe Certa. He first appeared in the story “The Manhunter from Mars” in Detective Comics #225. Take a look below for 28 more interesting and bizarre facts about Martian Manhunter.
1. Martian Manhunter is one of the seven original members of the Justice League of America and one of the most powerful beings in the DC Universe.
2. He was subconsciously keeping the souls of the entire Martian race on Mars, making them unable to move onto the Afterlife.
3. He has complete control over his own molecular structure, giving him the ability to shape shift. His clothes are actually a part of his skin.
4. Martian Manhunter can read every single living beings mind on Earth, simultaneously.
5. Superman once admitted that Martian Manhunter is the most powerful being on the face of the Earth.
6. He once made the Joker temporarily sane while he was a reality warper.
7. Batman mentions in a file that, “in many ways Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and the Dark Knight himself.”
8. When Martian Manhunter died once, Batman left an Oreo cookie on J’onn’s casket.
9. When Martian Manhunter first appeared in Dr. Erdel’s laboratory, he modified his appearance into something of a compromise: he was still wearing traditional Martian clothing, but adjusted his appearance to something more humanoid, based on Dr. Erdel’s idea of what a Martian should look like.
10. Martian Manhunter once accused Batman of having a fetish for creating contingency plans and putting his body through extreme training.
11. He isn’t actually physically harmed by fire, he has a pyrophobia because he watched his wife, child and people die in a blaze.
12. He’s a shapeshifter and can therefore take a human form. One of his many identities is that of Japanese woman named Hino Rei, which is the same name of Sailor Mars from the manga “Sailor Moon.”
13. Martian Manhunter has the ability to move objects with his mind, which he described as “molecular hypnosis” and “Martian mind over matter.”
14. In Earth-One continuity, the Martian Manhunter quit his tenure with the Justice League of America in Justice League of America #71 and didn’t officially return to active status until the reformation of the League in Justice League of America Annual #2. However, Post-Crisis continuity has retroactively re-inserted J’onn as an active League member for the entire span of the first iteration of the Justice League of America.
15. Martian Manhunter once defeated a possessed Shazam, using only brute strength. Simultaneously, he fought Grey Man psychically to free Doctor Fate and Billy Batson from his control.
16. He owns one of two Kuru pendants. The pendant acts as a repository of Ancient Martian lore and knowledge. The second pendant belonged to the late Martian, Roh’Kar.
17. J’onn is known to carry a bag of Chocos with him for snacking. During the Justice League International years, J’onn is shown to be obsessed with Chocos, partially due to Captain Marvel’s influence.
18. Martian Manhunter is one of the only members of the Justice League to ever denounce fearing Batman. While adding that he not only feels no fear towards him, but he also hates his arrogance.
19. As an adult, J’onn became a Manhunter, or police officer, and married a Martian woman named M’yri’ah. The two established a modest home for themselves beneath the windswept Martian plains and gave birth to a daughter named K’hym.
20. Despero once claimed that Ted Kord’s mind, which had an IQ of 192, was second only to that of J’onn J’onzz.
21. The more muscular beetle-brow appearance of Martian Manhunter was inspired by Saul Erdel, who convinced J’onn to assume a form derived from the literary works of science fiction authors such as Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ray Bradbury.
22. Even though he’s alien in appearance, the form that most Earthlings associated with the Martian Manhunter isn’t actually his true form. In his natural state of being, J’onn has a slender body, with sharp, angular features and a tapered cranium.
23. In his earliest adventures, the Martian Manhunter had the ability to see into the near future. However, there have been scant examples of this, and it is no longer a power that he possesses in modern continuity. By his own account, the Martian Manhunter can’t perceive the future.
24. In his earliest appearances, the Martian Manhunter resembled a normal human, even though he had green skin. He was drawn with standard human eyes and eyebrows.
25. He possesses “Martian Vision”, which allows his eyes to see across the electromagnetic spectrum, including X-Ray Vision. He can also project energy beams, known as “Martian Beams,” though the exact effects of which have varied in different decades.
26. Ma’alefa’ak, a native of planet Mars, is the twin brother and archenemy of Martian Manhunter.
27. He’s able to fly at speeds that exceed the escape velocity of Earth, which is 7 miles per second, under his own power. He’s able to maintain superhuman speed far in excess to that of most metahumans, and for far longer.
28. Aside from his superhuman power, Martian Manhunter is also a very capable detective.