Gastrodon is a dual type Water and Ground Pokemon introduced in Generation IV. It evolves from Shellos starting at level 30. Gastrodon have two different appearances: West Sea, pink and brown, and East Sea, blue and green, found on the respective sides of Sinnoh’s mountain range. Take a look below for 21 fun and fascinating facts about Gastrodon.
1. Gastrodon is a sea slug like Pokemon, and appears much the same as its pre-evolution, but it gains four more stubby legs and is noticeably larger.
2. They both have plain black eyes with white irises, with a third eye in the center of their forehead.
3. Like Shellos, Gastrodon has two forms.
4. In its West Sea form, the flower-like crest it had as a Shellos has now turned into horns adorning the side of its head, which point directly upwards in a crescent moon shape.
5. Its underside up to the bottom of its mouth is pink, its back and the top of its head is completely brown, and it has two small protrusions on its back with several pink spots dotted around them.
6. It also has two small protrusions on its neck underneath the horns, and it has a yellow border running down its body from its head, separating the brown and the pink coloration.
7. In its East Sea form, it retains the horns it had as a Shellos, although now fully colored green which point at a 45 degree angle.
8. Its underside up to the bottom of its mouth is blue, its back and the top of its head is completely green, and it has two yellow “fins” adorned on its back with a third bordering its side and rear, as well as two small blue spots between them.
9. It has a yellow border running down its body from its head, separating the blue and the green coloration.
10. Gastrodon and its pre-evolution Shellos are examples of allopatric speciation, though they are still able to breed.
11. When it is threatened, it oozes purple fluid and flees. Gastrodon lives in shallow tidal pools.
12. According to an interview in Nintendo Power with Ken Sugimori, Shellos and Gastrodon were originally intended for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, but were not implemented due to time constraints.
13. Both Shellos and Gastrodon have early back sprites within the game data of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl; however, there are no front sprites for these forms.
14. In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, no in-game Trainer uses East Sea Gastrodon in battle, even on the east side of Mt. Coronet.
15. Gastrodon is based on a sea slug, perhaps specifically of the order Opisthobranchia. The East Sea Gastrodon seems to be based on a sea hare.
16. Gastrodon is a combination of gastropod and don (Spanish for lord). It may also derive from Gastropteron, a genus of sea slug.
17. In Last Call — First Round!, Zoey’s West Sea Shellos was revealed to have evolved into a Gastrodon. It was used alongside Lumineon in the Performance Stage of the Sinnoh Grand Festival. It was later used in the Contest Battles as well, winning them and assuring Zoey would make her way to the finals.
18. West Sea Gastrodon debuted in Double Team Turnover!, under the ownership of Cynthia. It reappeared in Aiding the Enemy, where it was seen battling Aaron’s Beautifly on television. It was able to defeat Beautifly in addition to Aaron’s Drapion, giving Cynthia the win.
20. A West Sea Gastrodon appeared in Old Rivals, New Tricks!, under the ownership of a Coordinator competing in the Sandalstraw Contest.
21. Two Gastrodon, one East Sea and one West Sea, appeared in Chasing Memories, Creating Dreams!, under the ownership of different Trainers. They were watching Professor Kukui announce the completion of the Manalo Stadium.