Sofia Boutella, born April 3, 1982, is an Algerian dancer, model, and actress. Boutella has starred as Gazelle in Kingsman: The Secret Service, an alien warrior named Jaylah in Star Trek Beyond and the main antagonist, Princess Ahmanet, in Universal’s Dark Universe movie The Mummy. Take a look below for 20 more interesting and awesome facts about Sofia Boutella.
1. Boutella was born in the Bab El Oued district of Algiers, the daughter of jazz musician Safy Boutella.
2. Her mother is an Algerian architect.
3. She started classical dance education at the age of 5, and at the age of 10 in 1992, she left Algeria with her family and moved to France.
4. In France, Boutella started rhythmic gymnastics, and joined the French national team at the age of 18.
5. She took up hip hop and street dance, and was part of a group called the Vagabond Crew, which won the Battle of the Year in 2006.
6. She participated in a group called Chienne de Vie and Aphrodites created by Momo from the Vagabond Crew.
7. Boutella’s father, Safy Boutella, is a jazz pianist, composer and graduate of the Berklee College of Music.
8. Boutella had been rehearsing since the age of 18 with choreographer Blanca Li.
9. She has danced in several movie and television appearances, as well as commercials and concert tours.
10. Her breakthrough arrived in 2007, when she was picked for the Jamie King choreography for Nike as a role model of femininity and hip hop.
11. Getting picked for the Jamie King choreography was a major boost to Boutella’s career and led to more work alongside stars like Madonna, in her Confessions Tour, and Rihanna.
12. Boutella successfully auditioned for the Michael Jackson This Is It concerts but couldn’t attend due to the extension of the Madonna tour, whose dates coincided with the Jackson residency.
13. In February 2011, she was the main character in the music video for “Hollywood Tonight” by Michael Jackson.
14. Boutella played the lead character Eva in the drama movie StreetDance 2, the sequel to StreetDance 3D, and co-starred in Kingsman: The Secret Service.
15. She appeared as the alien warrior Jaylah in Star Trek Beyond, released on July 22, 2016.
16. Her influences include Fred Astaire, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Daniel Day-Lewis and Bob Fosse.
17. In June 2017, she was cast in the HBO movie Fahrenheit 451, which stars Michael B. Jordan and Michael Shannon.
18. Boutella was required to give eight “as long as possible” licks to Tom Cruise on the set of The Mummy.
19. She became an international star during the campaign “Madonna for H&M”.
20. She appeared in Take That’s music video for “Get Ready For It” in 2015.