Robyn Rihanna Fenty was born on February 20, 1988, in Saint Michael Barbados. She’s a singer, songwriter, and actress. She was raised in Bridgetown and during 2003, she recorded demo tapes under the direction of record producer Evan Rogers and signed a recording contract with Def Jam Recordings after audition for its then president, hip hop producer and rapper Jay-Z. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Rihanna.
1. Her mother, Monica Braithwaite, has African Guyanese roots, while her father, Ronald Fenty, has Irish Barbadian roots.
2. Rihanna grew up in a three bedroom house and helped her father sell clothes in the street market. To make extra money on the side, she would buy candy, wrap it up in neat packaging and sell it to students in her school for profit.
3. Her father was addicted to cocaine, alcohol and marijuana.
4. Rihanna’s video for “We Found Love” was shot on a farm in Ireland, however, during the filming, the farmer on whose land they were filming ordered the crew to stop and leave after seeing what Rihanna was wearing.
5. Her acting debut came in the 2012 movie Battleship.
6. Her biggest idol growing up was Madonna. However, she recently stated that her idols include Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Celine Dion and Beyonce Knowles.
7. Rihanna has 7 wax figurines at the MAdame Tussauds Wax Museums around the world. They’re located in Berlin, Hollywood, Las Vegas, Washington D.C., London, Sydney and Vienna.
8. She has 14 known tattoos. Rihanna has said that she feels that tattoos are an entire culture of their own and speak for who a person is. Some of her tattoos are a music note on her ankle, a star on her left ear, a trail of stars going down her back and an Egyptian falcon shaped as a gun on her right foot.
9. She’s a big fan of the singer and songwriter Bob Marley, who was also from the Caribbean.
10. Rihanna and Katy Perry are very close friends. She’s said that Katy is really fun and that her sense of humor is what brought them together as friends. However, as of February, 2013, there are rumors that their friendship isn’t working out due to Rihanna’s continuing relationship with Chris Brown.
11. In 2011, her song “Where Have You Been” broke the Vevo record for the most views in a 24 hour period at 4.93 million. She also holds the record for the first woman to pass 2 billion views on YouTube.
12. She’s one of the youngest artists to achieve 12 number 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. In 2012, she was recorded as having sold 25 million records around the globe and 75 million singles in the first 7 years since she started out.
13. Her third studio album, “Good Girl Gone Bad,” was at the top of the charts in countries around the world including Ireland, Japan the United Kingdom, Brazil and Canada.
14. At the beginning of her career, the studio executives at Def Jam wouldn’t allow her to wear anything too revealing, or even wearing red lipstick, so that she could appeal to a younger demographic.
15. When she was a kid, she joined the army cadets. The singer Shontelle was her drill sergeant and would order the cadets to do push ups if they showed up late.
16. In 2004, when Rihanna was still in high school, she won the Miss Combermere school beauty pageant.
17. At one point, Rihanna was falsely rumored to be having an affair with Jay-Z, who was with Beyonce at the time.
18. Her first single “Pon de Replay” hit the top 5 on the Billboard charts. The song got so big that Jay-Z was worried that it would be the only song that she would be known for.
19. She won her first Grammy for her song “Umbrella,” which was a collaboration with Jay-Z. Her second Grammy also came from a collaboration, but this time it was with Jay-Z and Kanye West on “Run This Town.”
20. Rihanna is the best selling digital download artist of all time. Her songs have been downloaded about 75 million times.
21. She was named the official face of Barbados tourism in 2007 and she holds the honorary title of Ambassador of Culture and Youth.
22. Barbados created a national holiday to honor Rihanna in 2008. She put on a free concert for all her local fans as a way of thanking them.
23. Even though she has posted some racy pictures on Instagram, she has repeatedly turned down offers to pose nude for Playboy Magazine.
24. In 2016, she was Spotify’s most streamed female artist and the most streamed R&B artist. She was also the third most streamed artist overall, right behind Drake and Justin Bieber.
25. In 2017, Rihanna was the 6th most popular person on Facebook. Her Facebook Page had 81 million likes, which beat out Justin Bieber’s 78.7 million likes.
26. She’s reportedly paid $100,000 by fashion designers to sit in the front row of their catwalk shows and pose for cameras at various Fashion Weeks.
27. Before any performance, she likes to disguise herself as a fan and go into the audience to get a feel for their energy.
28. She’s a hardcore fan of Star Trek, and her 2016 single “Sledgehammer” was used to promote the third movie in the franchise reboot. She has stated in the past that her father got her into the show as a child.
29. When she was a little girl, she witnessed an exorcism at a friend’s house. Since then, she’s been afraid of ghosts and even refuses to visit the Chateau Marmont due to her fears.
30. Rihanna has told Oprah that she’ll often send her mother gifts but that her mother would send them back because she would find out how much they cost and would think that they’re too expensive.