Colliers is a town on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Take a look below for 9 fun and awesome facts about Colliers, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
1. It is in Division 1 on Conception Bay.
2. According to the 2016 Statistics Canada Census: the area had a population of 654, with 424 dwellings.
3. Colliers was considered by John Guy and his associates as a preferred place for the first settlement in North America.
4. The area that became known as Cupers Cove (Cupids) was chosen to great tragedy.
5. If Colliers had been chosen, this tragedy might not have occurred.
6. Thus Colliers would have been the first permanent settlement in North America.
7. Colliers is led by Mayor Michael Moriarity.
8. MHA Tom Hedderson represents the town in the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly, and is currently the Provincial Minister of Transportation and Works.
9. Famous residents of Colliers include former Lt. Gov. James A. McGrath, actor John Ryan and musician Terry McDonald.