Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is a Portuguese professional soccer player who plays as a forward for Spanish club Real Madrid and the Portugal national team. He’s often considered the best player in the world and widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time. Take a look below for 31 more interesting and fascinating facts about Cristiano Ronaldo.
1. Ronaldo has five Ballon d’Or awards, which is the most for a European player and is tied for the most all time.
2. He is the first player in history to win four European Golden Shoes. He has won 25 trophies in his career, including five league titles, four UEFA Champions League titles and one UEFA European Championship.
3. Ronaldo holds the record for most official goals scored in the top five European leagues at 377, the UEFA Champions League at 114, the UEFA European Championship at 29, and the FIFA Club World Cup at 7, as well as most goals scored in a UEFA Champions League season at 17.
4. Ronaldo has scored more than 600 senior career goals for his club and country.
5. He was born and raised on the Portuguese island of Madeira.
6. He was diagnosed with a racing heart at the age of 15. He underwent an operation to treat his condition, and began his senior club career playing for Sporting CP, before singing with Manchester United at the age of 18 in 2003.
7. Ronaldo has helped Manchester United win three successive Premier League titles, a UEFA Champions League title, and a FIFA Club World Cup.
8. By the age of 22, Ronaldo received a Ballon d’Or and the FIFA World Player of the Year nominations and the age of 23, he won his first Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year awards.
9. In 2009, Ronaldo was the subject of the most expensive football association transfer when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid in a transfer worth 94 million Euros.
10. In Spain, Ronaldo has won 14 trophies, including two La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey titles, three Champions League titles, two UEFA Super Cups, and three FIFA Club World Cups.
11. After joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo finished runner up for the Ballon d’Or three times, behind Lionel Messi, before winning back to back Ballons d’Or in 2013 and 2014.
12. He has scored a record 32 La Liga hat tricks, including a record trying eight hat tricks in the 2014 to 2015 season. He is the only player to reach 30 league goals in six consecutive La Liga seasons.
13. In 2014, Ronaldo became the fastest player in history to reach 200 La Liga goals, which he achieved in 178 matches.
14. In 2015, Ronaldo became Real Madrid’s all time leading goalscorer.
15. In 2016, he won his fourth Ballon d’Or by a record voting margin after sealing La Undecima, Madrid’s 11th European title, and winning Euro 2016.
16. Ronaldo was named the best Portuguese player of all time by the Portuguese Football Federation in 2015.
17. He made his senior international debut in August, 2003, when he was 18 years old.
18. He is Portugal’s most capped player of all time with over 140 caps, and has participated in seven major tournaments. He is also Portugal’s all time top goalscorer.
19. He scored his first international goal at Euro 2004 and helped Portugal reach the final.
20. He became captain of the Portuguese national team in July, 2008, leading Portugal to their first ever win in a major tournament by winning the Euro 2016. Ronaldo received the Silver Boot as the second highest goalscorer of the tournament.
21. Ronaldo was ranked the world’s highest paid athlete by Forbes in 2016 and 2017, as well as the world’s most famous athlete by ESPN in 2016 and 2017.
22. He got the name “Ronaldo” after then-United States President Ronald Reagan, who was his father’s favorite actor.
23. He is the youngest child of Maria Dolores dos Santos Aveiro, a cook, and Jose Dinis Aveiro, a municipal gardener. He has one older brother, Hugo, and two older sisters, Elma and Lilian Catia.
24. At the age of 8, Ronaldo played for the amateur team Andorinha, where his father was the kit man.
25. Ronaldo was nicknamed “cry baby” as a child. His mother Dolores Aveiro said, “When he got home from school I’d tell him to do homework but he’d say he didn’t have any. I’d be making dinner and he would jump out of the window and run off until late. He used to cry when he passed and his friends didn’t score. People called him cry baby and little bee because nobody could catch him.”
26. Ronaldo was popular with other students at school but he was expelled at the age of 14 when he threw a chair at his teacher. Ronaldo said that the reason he did it was because the teacher disrespected him.
27. As a teenager, he would be in the gym training using weights on either foot, and then dribbling with the ball. Ronaldo thought that training with weights would improve his game techniques because without weights, he would be even faster.
28. Manchester United paid 12 million pounds sterling to sign him in 2003, which was a record fee for a player his age.
29. In 2006, Ronaldo opened a fashion boutique under the name “CR7” on the island of Madeira, Portugal.
30. In June, 2010, during the build up to the World Cup, Ronaldo became the fourth footballer, after Steven Gerrard, Pele and David Beckham, to be represented as a waxwork at Madame Tussauds London.
31. Ronaldo has previously dated English models Alice Goodwin and Gemma Atkinson, and since the start of 2010, has been dating Russian model Irina Shayk.