South Cle Elum is a town in Kittitas County, Washington, United States. Take a look below for 10 amazing and awesome facts about South Cle Elum, Washington, United States.
1. The population was 532 at the 2010 census.
2. In 1909, the Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railway chose Cle Elum as a division point between the Coast and Columbia divisions on its future transcontinental line.
3. When it was determined that Milwaukee’s mainline would end up running one mile south of the city, South Cle Elum was platted.
4. Maintenance shops and workers’ bunkers were built as well as a train station. South Cle Elum was officially incorporated on August 28, 1911.
5. South Cle Elum is located at 47°11′8″N 120°57′11″W (47.185633, −120.953019).
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.39 square miles (1.01 km2), all land.
7. As of the census of 2010, there were 532 people, 235 households, and 145 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,364.1 inhabitants per square mile (526.7/km2). There were 271 housing units at an average density of 694.9 per square mile (268.3/km2).
8. The racial makeup of the town was 93.2% White, 0.4% African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 1.5% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.1% of the population.
9. There were 235 households, of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.3% were non-families. 30.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.80.
10. The median age in the town was 42.8 years. 21.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24% were from 25 to 44; 28.3% were from 45 to 64; and 18.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 49.6% male and 50.4% female.