Mew is a Psychic type Mythical Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Mew is notable for its unique ability to learn every Technical Machine, Hidden Machine, and Move Tutor move. Mew is the last Pokemon in the Kanto Pokedex. It is a member of the Mew duo along with Mewtwo. Take a look below for 31 awesome and fascinating facts about Mew.
1. Mew is a pink, bipedal Pokemon with mammalian features.
2. It has a rounded, wide snout, triangular ears, and large, blue eyes.
3. It has short arms with three-fingered paws and large hind paws with oval markings on the soles.
4. Its tail is long and thin with an ovoid tip.
5. Its fur is so fine and thin, it can only be seen under a microscope.
6. Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body, and as such is able to learn any attack.
7. As demonstrated by its behavior in the first and eighth Pokémon movies, it shows signs of intelligence, curiosity, playfulness, and even selflessness.
8. Mew is incredibly adaptable, able to travel freely in the air or underwater.
9. As seen in Pokémon Snap and the Super Smash Bros. series, it can create a green, yellow, or pink orb of energy around itself for protection, although only the pink orb is seen in the latter.
10. Reports found in Cinnabar Island’s Pokémon Mansion note scientific expeditions that have sighted Mew in Guyana, South America, the place where it was first discovered.
11. Since Mew can make itself invisible at will, very few people have knowingly seen it, leading some scientists to declare it extinct and most to assume it to be a mirage.
12. It will only show itself to a person who is pure of heart.
13. Mew is the only known Pokémon capable of using the exclusive Z-Move Genesis Supernova.
14. Despite being a clone of Mew, Mewtwo appears before Mew in the Pokédex.
15. Mew was the only Pokémon of the first 151 to be left out of the original version of the Pokérap.
16. In Generation I and II, due to technical limitations, New Species is labeled in game as NEW SPECIE (and in early versions, labeled as NEWSPECIES).
17. Mew was a little-known secret when Pokémon Red and Green were first released in Japan. Even Nintendo was not initially aware that Shigeki Morimoto had programmed it into the game.
18. In an interview with Game Freak and Creatures, Inc. in Nintendo Power issue 134, Shigeki Morimoto revealed that he created Mew two weeks before game development was finished.
19. In Generation III, Mew is the only Generation I Pokémon that cannot be encountered in FireRed and LeafGreen, as well as the only Generation I Legendary or Mythical Pokémon that can be encountered in Emerald.
20. Mew is tied with Mewtwo for the most anime opening appearances of any Legendary or Mythical Pokémon, with seven in Japan.
21. Mew is the only genderless Pokémon able to learn Captivate; however, when used by genderless Pokémon, this move will always fail.
22. In Super Smash Bros. it has a chance of 1 out of 151 to appear, in Super Smash Bros. Melee, its chance to appear is 1 out of 251, and in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, its chance to appear is 1 out of 493. This is a reference to how many Pokémon were out during the release of each game (151 in Generation I, 251 in Generation II, and 493 in Generation IV).
23. Mew shares the move Transform with Ditto, along with also sharing the same Shiny coloration and the same weight. In addition, in Pokémon Yellow, Ditto can be encountered in the Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island, where diary entries on Mew can be found.
24. The US release of Mew as an event for HeartGold and SoulSilver happened on the ten-year anniversary of the original release of Gold and Silver.
25. Mew was voted the most popular Pokémon in the Pokémon Power Bracket, which included all Legendary and Mythical Pokémon from the first four generations.
26. Mew started the trend of every generation (through Generation V) introducing a Mythical Pokémon with a base stat total of 600 and a stat distribution of 100 all around. Others that follow this trend include Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Land Forme Shaymin, and Victini.
27. The only way to legitimately obtain a Shiny Mew is via the Old Sea Map on a Japanese copy of Pokémon Emerald.
28. Mew is one of two Pokémon to have the shortest English Pokémon name, Muk being the other.
29. Mew is the only Generation I Pokémon that grows medium slowly and has no three-stage evolution family.
30. Mew is similar to a vertebrate embryo. It shares many traits with cats. Its morphology is also vaguely similar to a jerboa, having large hind legs and a long skinny tail. It is believed by scientists to be the last universal common ancestor of all other Pokémon, which, along with its resemblance to an embryo, may be a reference to the recapitulation theory.
31. Mew’s design was based on Mewtwo. It was made simpler than Mewtwo’s so that it would take up less space on the cartridge.