Adam Sandler is an American actor, comedian, screenwriter, film producer and musician. After becoming a cast member of Saturday Night Live, he went on to star in many Hollywood feature films that combined have grossed over $2 billion at the box office. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Adam Sandler.
1. Sandler is best known for his comedic roles, such as in Bill Madison, the sports comedies Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy, the romantic comedy The Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, and Mr. Deeds, and voicing Dracula in Hotel Transylvania and Hotel Transylvania 2.
2. Several of Sandler’s movies, most notably Jack and Jill, have gained harsh criticism, culminating in a shared second place in a number of Raspberry Awards and Raspberry Award nominations.
3. He sometimes ventures into dramatic movies, such as Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People and The Meyerowitz Stories.
4. He’s released five comedy albums in his career. They’re All Gonna Laugh at You! and What the Hell Happened to Me? are both certified double-platinum.
5. In 1999, he founded Happy Madison Productions.
6. His parents were Judith “Judy”, a nursery school teacher, and Stanley Sandler, an electrical engineer.
7. He grew up in Manchester, New Hampshire after moving there at the age of six. He attended Manchester Central High School.
8. As a teenager, he was in BBYO, which is a popular Jewish youth group.
9. Sandler graduated from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in 1988.
10. Early in his career, he played Theo Huxtable’s friend, Smitty, in The Cosby Show and the Stud Boy or Trivia Delinquent in the MTV game show Remote Control.
11. After his movie debut in Going Overboard in 1989, he performed in comedy clubs, having first taken the stage at his brother’s urging when he was 17 years old.
12. Sandler was discovered by comedian Dennis Miller, who caught his act in Los Angeles and recommended that he speak to Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels.
13. He was hired as a writer for Saturday Night Live in 1990 and became a featured player the following year, making a name for himself by performing amusing originals songs on the show, including “The Thanksgiving Song” and “The Chanukah Song.”
14. He told Conan O’Brien on The Tonight Show that NBC fired him and Chris Farley from the show in 1995.
15. On June 22, 2003, Sandler married actress Jacqueline Titone. Titone converted to Judaism in 2000.
16. The couple have two daughters, Sadie, who was born in 2006, and Sunny, who was born in 2008.
17. In 2007, Sandler made a $1 million donation to the Boys and Girls Club in his hometown, Manchester, New Hampshire.
18. Sandler lived with writer and director Judd Apatow when they were both starting out. The two would finally work together in 2009’s Funny People.
19. It’s believed that Sandler never writes his stand-up comedy acts, he just goes up on stage cold and thinks of his jokes on the spot.
20. He was a Resident Adviser for his fellow students during his time at New York University.
21. In his first movie, Cruise Control, Adam Sandler played an unsuccessful standup comic on a cruise ship that’s taken over by terrorists.
22. In the movie Billy Madison, Sandler really whipped those dodgeballs at the children.
23. Conan O’Brien was the deadpan voice of the Dean of Admissions on Sandler’s first comedy album, They’re All Gonna Laugh At You!
24. In 2010, Sandler, along with 134 other people, was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which means that he gets to vote on who wins the Oscars.
25. He was considered for the voice of Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, but the role went to Bradley Cooper instead.
26. He was considered for the role of Max the taxi driver in Tom Cruise’s movie Collateral, however, the role went to Jamie Foxx instead, who received an Oscar nomination for the role.
27. in 2015, Sandler starred in the Western comedy movie The Ridiculous 6, which was distributed by Netflix. Despite being ripped apart by critics, the movie was viewed more times in 30 days than any other movie in Netflix history.
28. The first movie producer by his Happy Madison Productions was Rob Schneider’s Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo.
29. In 2011, Sandler received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2011.
30. He lives with his family in Los Angeles, but also owns homes in New York City and Florida.