Miley Ray Cyrus, born Destiny Hope Cyrus, is an American singer, songwriter and actress. After playing minor roles in television series Doc and the movie Big Fish as a kid, she became a teen idol staring as the character Miley Stewart in the Disney Channel television series Hannah Montana in 2006. Take a look below for 30 more fun and fascinating facts about Miley Cyrus.
1. Her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, also starred in Hannah Montana, which aired for four seasons until 2011.
2. She has earned 5 number one and 11 top ten albums on the U.S. Billboard 200, including releases credited as both herself and Hannah Montana.
3. Of the releases that are credited as herself, the teen pop Meet Miley Cyrus, pop rock Breakout, extended play The Time of Our Lives, and dance pop Can’t Be Tamed, were released through her original label Hollywood Records.
4. The hip hop influenced Bangerz and the country pop Younger Now were released through her current label RCA Records.
5. Her psychedelic album Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz was released independently by Cyrus in between the releases of the two albums for RCA Records.
6. She has earned 9 top ten entries on the Billboard Hot 100.
7. Cyrus launched her movie career as a voice actress in the animated movie Bolt, and later starred in the feature movies Hannah Montana: The Movie and the coming-of-age movie The Last Song.
8. She was the host of the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards and has hosted Saturday Night Live three times since her first appearance in 2011.
9. Cyrus has been featured as a coach on the singing competition television series The Voice, and has appeared on two of its 13 seasons since her debut in 2016.
10. Her image has been the subject of significant media commentary and public controversy, including the transition from her wholesome image to a highly sexual persona in early 2010.
11. She has earned numerous awards and nominations, was recognized as the Artist of the Year by MTV in 2013, and was included on the Time 100 list of most influential people in 2008 and 2014.
12. She was born with supraventricular tachycardia, which is a condition that causes an abnormal resting heart rate.
13. Her birth name, Destiny Hope, reflects her parents’ belief that she would go on to accomplish great things. She was also given the nickname Smiley, which was later shortened to Miley, because she often smiled as an infant.
14. Against the advice of her father’s record company, he married Miley’s mother secretly on December, 28, 1993, a year after Miley was born.
15. Cyrus’ parents had two more children together, a son Braison and daughter Noah.
16. From previous relationships, her mother has two other children, Trace and Brandi, while her father has a son named Christopher, who grew up with his mother, Kristin Luckey, in South Carolina.
17. Four of Cyrus’ siblings entered the entertainment business. Trace is a vocalist and guitarist for the electronic pop band Metro Station, Noah is an actress, Braison is a fashion model and Brandi is a journalist.
18. She grew up on a 500 acre farm in Franklin and attended Heritage Elementary School.
19. She was raised a Christian and was baptized in a Southern Baptist Church before moving to Hollywood in 2005. She went to church regularly while growing up and wore a purity ring.
20. Cyrus credits Britney Spears as her biggest inspiration, and references the singer in her song “Party in the U.S.A.”
21. Her favorite song by her father is “Achy Breaky Heart.”
22. Cyrus was kicked out of an evangelical private school. Opposing reports say that it was either because she stole her teacher’s motorized scooter or because she told her classmates what French kissing was.
23. She knew that she wanted to become an actress after watching Mamma Mia! at the Royal Alexandra Theater.
24. When she became inspired to act, she took classes at Armstrong Acting Studios in Toronto, which is the same school that Nina Dobrev attended.
25. Her first job was to pick up bras and underwear that her father’s fans would throw on stage.
26. She was born left-handed, but her father taught her to use her right hand. She’s often joked that if people can’t read her autographs that she signs with her right hand, they should complain to her father.
27. She was no supposed be Hannah Montana as she originally auditioned for the role of Hannah’s best friend Lilly Truscott.
28. She was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song for “I Thought I Lost You” in the animated movie “Bolt.”
29. Cyrus’ single “Party in the U.S.A.” was written to promote her clothing line with Max Azria.
30. Her first boyfriend was model Justin Gaston for nine months, but she told Parade Magazine that Liam Hemsworth was her first serious boyfriend.